Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
ericdano
Versed
Versed

Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby ericdano » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:20 pm

About a week ago, I got a brand new DS1512+ and loaded it up with 3 brand new Seagate 2TB hard drives. I installed the new DSM4 software, created a raid volume. Everything seemed fine. I proceeded to start a RSync job to copy over my data from a ReadyNAS NV NAS, and it finished this morning. I powered down the ReadyNAS unit, rebooted the DS1512+ and now the thing flashes a blue power light.

And following the "helpful" thing found here
http://www.synology.com/support/faq_sho ... 6&lang=enu
I removed the HDs, and the thing still flashes a Blue power LED.

Brand new unit. Died. What gives Synology? The unit did not give any indication that there was something wrong.

Ideas on how to fix this?
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Re: Rebooted and now a Flashing Blue Light (DS1512+)

Postby maxxfi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:02 am

Just open a ticket with Synology support, they will instruct you on how to get a replacement.
DS-106j > DS-210j > DS-411
ericdano
Versed
Versed

Postby ericdano » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:26 am

Except they seem to take the weekends off completely.......

Plus the whole WEEK of transferring off stuff from my ReadyNAS to the Synology unit is now in question. It literally finished at 8am, I got into work at 9:45, checked it, rebooted it and then......dead.
Mann
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Mann » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:36 am

My unit DS1812+ is having the same issue too.Received item on 20/03/2012.Setup DSM 3.2-2031.Transfered my movies onto the unit(7 Samsung F4 hdd).Everything is fine and had use the unit for few days except today turn on the unit and nothing happens,only blue power unit flashes.
MrZarniwoop
Beginner
Beginner

Postby MrZarniwoop » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Same thing here.

Did "Restart" on the UI. Since then, just a blinking blue light.

Tried the reset button on the back, no response. It just seems like Restart/Shutdown may be an issue on these models.

Very disappointed as I took about two weeks to transfer all of my data to the NAS, slowly adding drives as I "retired" them from their former homes. Seemed like a very cost-effective way to get a snappy NAS by recycling all my old drives.

I have opened a support ticket, I hope they respond quickly with either a fix or the process for a replacement.
ericdano
Versed
Versed

Postby ericdano » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Yeah, this does not sound good. Perhaps some faulty hardware? Major issues with their new stuff? How can I trust that this won't be an ongoing issue with the hardware? I have had a readynas nv for 5 years. It doesn't have all the neat software that synology has, but it has worked perfectly and I always got prompt email support (within 24 hours even over the weekend). I mean, a brand new unit, reboots and then dies? Wow.......
ericdano
Versed
Versed

Postby ericdano » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Great, so three of us now with newer units have the same problem.......
MrZarniwoop
Beginner
Beginner

Postby MrZarniwoop » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:31 pm

For what it's worth, I too tried to pull all the drives. No difference, still blinking blue light.
ericdano
Versed
Versed

Postby ericdano » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Yup. I left mine driverless for several hours in hopes it would fix itself. Ha!

Then I put the drives back in, and powered it on, in hopes it would magically get unstuck. Ha!

The most frustrating part is, again, total lack of tech support. Nothing. No email response in 24 hours. For me, that is not acceptable. These are "business" class devices. What if I didn't have a fall back of the NV and the Synology unit just up and died and I needed some sort of support over the weekend? I can't think of a single company that doesn't at least answer email support over the weekend.

So far synology isn't doing anything to win me over. I'm fully prepared to just complain to amazon about their crappy product and so far crappy support.
MrZarniwoop
Beginner
Beginner

Postby MrZarniwoop » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Yeah, support turnaround is frustrating, mostly because I only really have touched the NAS on weekends. That means the only other time I needed support was exactly when they don't seem to be responding to support inquiries.

I sent a question on Saturday, March 10th to support when I could no longer access an SHR volume I created. I did get an email response back on Monday, March 13th after 5pm Central time.

If it's a similar response time, I expect a back-and-forth warranty hardware exchange to likely take more than a week. I am hopeful that I'm wrong.
ericdano
Versed
Versed

Postby ericdano » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Um, no. Synology needs to fix this on Monday. Period. No back and forth. Either they get this unit working, or they ship me (FedEx) a replacement. Otherwise, the negative review in amazon stays and I file a claim with amazon against them. It is absolutely crap there is no support happening over the weekend. Not one person in the company can be bothered checking the support emails? Heck, before netgear bought Infrant (the readynas people) they replied to email support claims in 24 hours and even monitored forum posts and replied to them......even over the weekend.
Mann
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Mann » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:10 am

Have yet to receive any reply for my support ticket.Definately hardware issue as three units having same problem.
ericdano
Versed
Versed

Postby ericdano » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 am

Nope. Nothing.....at......all. Very disappointed in Synology.
Mann
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Mann » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:42 am

Still no reply for my support ticket.Is everyone in the company synology very busy. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
ericdano
Versed
Versed

Postby ericdano » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Well, the amazon.com reviews are starting to come in. I see a couple that have the exact same problems. I don't know why my review (1 star) isn't up on amazon yet.

Absolutely terrible support. Seriously synology, no support on the weekends? You better be contacting me in the next few hours or my major complaint goes out to amazon and carbon copied to every major tech blog and magazine I know of!

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”