Setup issues - DS211 (resolved)

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Jeroboam
Beginner
Beginner

Setup issues - DS211 (resolved)

Postby Jeroboam » Sat May 21, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm trying to set up my DS211 for the first time.

My network is as follows:

ADSL phone line > Netcomm NB6Plus4WN Wireless N Router > Asus GX-D1081 Gigabit Switch > connected via separate ethernet cables to: DS211, MacBook Pro (OSX 10.6.7) and my PC.

I'm trying to install the Synology Assistant onto my MacBook Pro and I appear to be falling at the first hurdle. I get the "No Synology Server was found on the local network" error message and from there I'm pretty much stumped.

Everything appears OK at the DS211 end (Status light blinking orange and LAN, Disk 1 and Disk 2 lights solid green).

Is my cabling setup okay? Have I got the right things connected to the right things according to my description above?

Is there anything else I should be doing to make the DS211 visible on the local network to my MacBook Pro?

On the switch, all connections appear to be 1000mb, except for the link between the router and switch - which is 10/100... Is this a problem?

Appreciate any suggestions..
Last edited by Jeroboam on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroboam
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Setup issues - DS211

Postby Jeroboam » Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 am

...anyone? It's a little frustrating having all this gear ready to go and I'm stuck at the first step..
Have sent a support request direct to Synology and am waiting on a reply... not sure of the standard turnaround..
niewiesznic
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby niewiesznic » Wed May 25, 2011 11:31 am

Try to connect DS directly into the Macbook and run Synology Assistant, install DSM, and then connect it to network.
Is router assigning ip adresses to devices ?
Regards,
niewiesznic
Beginner

Postby Jeroboam » Wed May 25, 2011 11:40 am

niewiesznic wrote:Try to connect DS directly into the Macbook and run Synology Assistant, install DSM, and then connect it to network.
Is router assigning ip adresses to devices ?

I'll give that a try thank-you. And yes, the router has assigned an IP address to the device...

Just got a reply from Synology support - so credit where credit is due - and they suggested the same thing - so let's see how we go.

Cheers..
Jeroboam
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jeroboam » Sun May 29, 2011 2:43 am

...sigh.... DS211 is still not being detected... I tried setting up the software and connecting the DS to my PC... and same thing... IP address is allocated (DiskStation MAC 00:11:32:0B:94:FD IP 192.168.1.6), but something is making the DS211 invisible to my PC/laptop...

I've connected the DS211 directly to both computers (separately) via ethernet cable... but nothing..

Am I doing something wrong here?
Surely it shouldn't be this difficult?
inactiveFred
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby inactiveFred » Mon May 30, 2011 11:12 pm

I am having ALMOST the exact same problem only with Win 7 Home Premium (x64). Everything went smoothly right up until Synology Assistant couldn't find my server. Same as the original poster, I have blinking orange Status indicator, and the two disk lights are solid green. Small but possibly important difference is that my LAN light is blinking (nework active per the User Guide). I checked, and the DiskStation has been assigned an IP address, i.e. it's listed in the DHCP table for my router. I am using Norton 360, but turning off firewall didn't fix issue.
Last edited by inactiveFred on Tue May 31, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debachat
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby debachat » Tue May 31, 2011 12:35 am

I have the same problem. Here are the details. I have sent a support request and looking forward to a response but in the mean time any help would be greatly appreciated.

Synology Model Number: DS211
Firmware Version Number: 3.1-1593 (as indicated by the Synology Assistant
HDD Model Number: Seagate - ST2000DL003
Number of HDDs: 2
RAID Type: N / A
Network Bandwidth/MTU: 1Gbps
Services enabled: N/A
Hibernation time: N/A
External Devices: N/A

Problem: After inserting the hard drives - the disk LEDs are green, LAN is green but the status shows blinking orange. The Synology Assistant does not detect the server and does not provide the option to load the ".pat" file which I think is the DSM firmware.

Please Help!!!! I am not a technology noob - but this inability to configure puts a questions mark. Any help appreciated!
inactiveFred
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby inactiveFred » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:28 am

Since there doesn't seem to be much (so far) that can be done about the Search not finding the server, is there a way that the information about the Server (IP address, etc) can be manually added, i.e. can the usually "found" server data be keyed into a file (or the Windows registry) so that the server can then be managed through the UI?
niewiesznic
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby niewiesznic » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:22 am

Assign fixed IP address to MAC ethernet of DS. Then try to find it via Synology Assistant. Maybe You have broken piece. Try to replace it.
Regards,
niewiesznic
Beginner

Postby Jeroboam » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:11 pm

niewiesznic wrote:Assign fixed IP address to MAC ethernet of DS. Then try to find it via Synology Assistant. Maybe You have broken piece. Try to replace it.

huh? Can you please explain what you mean by "Assign fixed IP address to MAC ethernet" - how do I do that?
inactiveFred
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby inactiveFred » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 am

I have a Linksys E4200, and the closest I can come to what was meant by assigning a static IP to your MAC address is to go into the Setup for my router, click on DHCP Reservations, select the entry for the Disk Station, and then reserve it. You can also manually type in MAC address and manually enter your desired ip address. In my case, this also didn't help. The Synology Assistant still doesn't find my DS211. I'm also sort of losing hope for this forum. This seems like it should be a fairly straightforward problem to solve (either upgrade Synology Assistant, or manually enter the information into some .ini file or some such), but so far nothing remotely resembling a solution. Maybe tomorrow.
Jeroboam
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jeroboam » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 am

Hi everyone, original poster here - I appear to have found a solution.

Today I spent half an hour on the phone with Sang from Synology Customer Support in the US and we seem to have worked it out. I'm pleased to report that I was able to get the Synology Assistant to "see" my DS211 and install the DSM software onto the unit.

For some reason, the Assistant was not "seeing" the DS211 while both hard drives were installed in the enclosure. After going through all the usual initial tech support questions - (have you turned of your wireless? are you sure that your firewall isn't blocking the device? have you tried the installation with another ethernet cable / computer?) Sang suggested that I remove both hard drives from the enclosure and try running the assistant..

To my amazement it worked... with no HDD in the DS211 the device was visible to the assistant.. I then tried running the Assistant with only one HDD in at a time.. and again the device was visible to the assistant. It was only when both disks were in the DS211 that the Assistant could not pick up the DS211. Sang was not able to explain why this was the case - but I was so relieved to have a solution that I didn't worry too much.

So, at Sang's suggestion I ran the Assistant with just the one drive - and used that to install the DSM software onto the DS211. Once the software was installed on the DS211, I powered down, put the second drive into the enclosure, powered up and accessed the DSM software direct from the web link - as the Assistant was no longer required. The DSM software detected the second drive - and I proceeded to create the RAID volume.

I suspect it may be a firmware issue that led to the Assistant not seeing my device on the network. Aside from today, this has been quite a painful experience spanning a couple of weeks. If anyone from Synology is reading this, please take note given that there appear to be a few similar comments / threads elsewhere on these forums. Big thanks to Sang... for having the patience to go through everything with me.
AlexJRC
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Setup issues - DS211 (resolved)

Postby AlexJRC » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:30 pm

I got my DS211 this morning and had the same thing. I followed your suggestions and it worked - both disks now seen. Thanks for your efforts and help.
tonythehoolet
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Setup issues - DS211 (resolved)

Postby tonythehoolet » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Jeroboam, thank you. Exact same thing happened to me withmy 211 and 2 x seagate st2000dl03. Thank you so much. Amazing that this stuff still happens thank goodness I found your post
darbic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Setup issues - DS211 (NOT RELOVED)

Postby darbic » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi,

I tried the mentioned procedure, but I can not see the server even if both of disks are removed. The station has IP address - I can ping it. But it is not visible in the Synology Assistant... The STATUS LED is blinking green-orange, LAN LED continuously light green and copy button ("C") blinking green..

Thanks for any help.

Tomas

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”