Accessing data from a Synology Hybrid Raid disk

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Patatoulis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Accessing data from a Synology Hybrid Raid disk

Postby Patatoulis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:10 am

Is there any way to access the data of a Synology Hybrid Raid disk used on 211j system?
oxothuk
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Accessing data from a Synology Hybrid Raid disk

Postby oxothuk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:38 pm

I assume that you mean "can I recover data from a disk that I removed from a DS211j", I assume also that the DS211j had two disks which were configured as a SHR volume.

If so, then the answer is "probably". You would need to attach the disk in a PC running Linux, find the RAID1 array (which would be in a "degraded" state), find the volume group built on the raid array, find the logical volume containg the SHR, and then mount the EXT4 filesystem containing the data.

Not a task to be taken likely, but it should be possible. However, it would be useful to understand your reasons for wanting to do this, as there may be other safer alternatives.
Patatoulis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Patatoulis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Your assumptions are correct.
I am interested to know if I can recover the data from a disk that was removed from a DS211j. The two hard disks are configured as a SHR volume.

One of the main reasons for buying the Synology DS211j was to assure redundancy of my data stored on the DS.
For this reason I created one SHR volume.

The reason for making the question is what will happen in case of DS211j failure (not failure of the disks).
Having selected to create an SHR volume will I be able to access my data?

If not, I am thinking of changing the SHR volume to a RAID 1 volume because I have the impression that the RAID 1 disks can be accessible through a SATA docking station.
oxothuk
Beginner
Beginner

Postby oxothuk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:39 am

In case your DS211j failed (not the disks), then the best, safest, and maybe even the cheapest option (depending on how you value your time) would be to just get another DS2xx unit.

Nonetheless, I understand your concern and had the same questions before I got my own unit.

With either SHR or RAID1 you should be able to remove one of the disks, dock it to a PC and read the data. The difference is that with SHR, you'll need a PC running Linux. With plain RAID1, you have the option of reading the data from a Windows PC (with some extra software - search google for Windows+EXT4).

Note also that the ability to recover from ONE disk only applies to a two disk configuration (SHR or RAID1) like you have in the DS211j. For a configuration of more than two disks (SHR or RAID5), then you need to attach all or all-but-one of the disks to your recovery PC and you have to use Linux.
Patatoulis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Patatoulis » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:58 am

Thank you for the response.

In my company 3 people are working on 3 different computers on overlapping tasks. So, in order to save time trying to find out where is the latest copy of our work stored (on which computer, which drive , which USB stick) our everyday work is stored on the DS.

In case of any failure we must have access to our data ASAP and not having to wait few days or a couple of weeks for the next DS to be delivered. The option of having a second DS211j as a backup looks luxurious for our budget.

So finally, I'd rather go for the RAID 1 option (since I am a Windows user- unfortunately?).

Regards

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”