When is one admin user enough?

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
weern-od-j
I'm New!
I'm New!

When is one admin user enough?

Unread post by weern-od-j » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi,

I'm a consumer-level user who stores personal photos, videos, documents on my NAS, as well as movies, music, and some work files.

I'd like to sync a folder of work files from home to work.

I am the only user of the NAS. How many users would I have an ideal set-up? And how should I ideally set up my shares?

Just trying to keep it simple, and put some effort into security. I do have two-step auth enabled.

Thanks!

Weern

dario_zgb
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: When is one admin user enough?

Unread post by dario_zgb » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:38 pm

One admin user per device is enough if you are using a strong password and 2FA. Make sure that the default admin user is disabled, as is the default setup when DSM is installed.

Technically you can run the DS with just one admin user and that's it. However, it is a good practice to create users for some automated tasks (e.g. for Time Machine backups on Macs or Windows File History tasks on PCs) so as to avoid these automated tasks giving full admin access to everything on the DS (in case of malware etc) but just limiting them to their dedicated shares.
--
DS416play (4x4TB WD Red, SHR) * DS216se (2x3TB WD Red, RAID 0) *
DS214se (2x2TB WD Red, SHR) * DS115j (2TB WD Blue) * RT2600ac

weern-od-j
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by weern-od-j » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:52 am

Thanks Dario! Do I delete the default admin user or just disable it? Is it assumed to be there by some packages?

dario_zgb
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by dario_zgb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:42 am

Just disable the default admin account (in fact it is disabled by default after a fresh DSM install) and create and use your own. Not quite sure on your second question but it would be a bad practice for packages to assume to be there to be used. I'm keeping the default one disabled on several devices for years and never had issues.
--
DS416play (4x4TB WD Red, SHR) * DS216se (2x3TB WD Red, RAID 0) *
DS214se (2x2TB WD Red, SHR) * DS115j (2TB WD Blue) * RT2600ac

weern-od-j
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by weern-od-j » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks! So my existing files will be fine?

I wanted to reset my NAS to the defaults but it appears it will only allow that to happen if I delete all the files. I don't want to do that.

Squozen
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Squozen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am

Your existing files will be fine. And your new admin user would have the rights to reassign any permissions required in any case.

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”