Jbod to raid

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mjbarnard
Trainee
Trainee

Jbod to raid

Unread post by mjbarnard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm

i have asked this question previously, but my situation is now different.

I have migrated from a DS1515+ to a DS3018XS. All data are on the new nas and I have multiple robust backups.

For whatever reason the 1515+ is configured as jbod with two volumes, one with 3 3tb wd red and a second with 2 3tb wd red.

I want to use the 1515 solely for surveillance station now with 3 ipcams. It is satisfactorily performing this currently. I appreciate only a matter of time until the atom bug takes it out.

I dont need any of the data. In fact I have removed it all. So my question now is - if I want to convert it to a Raid 5 or 6 and then use solely for SStation, would it be "better" or "easier" to remove volume 1, convert it to raid and then remove volume 2 and add it to raid, or better to just factory reset and setup as completely new raid volume?

I dont need any of the data. Asking because I dont really understand on which volume the operating system resides.

Thanks

telos
Ace
Ace

Re: Jbod to raid

Unread post by telos » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:01 am

If you don't need the content, delete both volumes and then create a new SHR volume involving all disks.

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Jbod to raid

Unread post by Squozen » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 am

The operating system exists on a mirrored partition on all disks, it doesn't belong to a volume. Installed applications ARE on a volume however, and cannot be moved via the GUI.

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”