Setting up 4 x 8TB drives in Raid 1 config

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
jeff-b
I'm New!
I'm New!

Setting up 4 x 8TB drives in Raid 1 config

Unread post by jeff-b » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 am

Hi there. Yet another newbie asking should-be-obvious questions :(

I've just migrated from a DS216+ to a DS918+ with 4*8TB WD Red drives (32TB total). Because I need the security of 100% mirroring, I've gone for Raid 1. However, do I set up the system as two "Groups" of two drives each? If I do this, does Raid1 "mirror" group1 to group2, or does the mirroring occur within the group itself? What I am trying to achieve is actually disks1 & 2 behaving as though they were one drive, being mirrored to disks 3 & 4 (also acting as one drive).

Any help would be gratefully accepted, and apologies if I'm asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere in this forum.

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Setting up 4 x 8TB drives in Raid 1 config

Unread post by Squozen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:16 pm

You want to use RAID 10, not RAID 1. It's a striped pair of mirrored disks.
Last edited by Squozen on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeff-b
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jeff-b » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info, Squozen; I hadn't actually considered Raid 10 as an option. Does Raid10 automatically treat disks 1 & 2 as a single entity, or do I still need to "group" them?

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Squozen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:42 am

You don't need to do a thing, it's all taken care of by the NAS.

jeff-b
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jeff-b » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 am

Great :D Thanks for the advice and info. I've re-loaded the NAS o/s, and this time chose Raid10. All operating perfectly. Luckily, I hadn't got to the stage of migrating the data, so it was a simple job to start again from scratch. BTW, you're absolutely correct about using Raid10 in my particular configuration; the way I had set up everything originally, all Raid1 would have done is given me three back-up copies of the primary drive :lol:
DUH !!

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”