Re: Migrating to btrfs

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Migrating to btrfs

Unread post by cfuttrup » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:35 pm

I think this is unrelated to your change in file system. I have experienced something similar and I ended up completely reinstalling DSM (i.e. push the reset button on the back). If you wish to try the same, here's the instructions (see #3):

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... nology_NAS

/Claus

Pixel5
I'm New!
I'm New!

Migrated to btrfs and now having trouble installing some packages even after DSM reinstall

Unread post by Pixel5 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi guys,

i recently migrated my volume to btrfs while also moving from a ds214+ to 918+
now i have the problem that i cant install packages like the video station, media server and similar.

in other posts people have mentioned this is related to postgresql missing or having problems.

now i already tried reinstalling DSM and everything went fine but i still have the same problem, i have no idea what to do and received zero replies from synology so far.

using ssh i already checked a few things and the folders for postgresql are all there but there is still something wrong.

does anyone have an idea what to do?

cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Migrated to btrfs and now having trouble installing some packages even after DSM reinstall

Unread post by cfuttrup » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Pixel5 wrote:does anyone have an idea what to do?
Synology support ticket - follow their instructions - they will ask for access to your computer - there's a feature in DSM to do so.

P.S. Weird how my initial reply became detached from the post that I replied to...

Best regards,
Claus

Pixel5
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Migrated to btrfs and now having trouble installing some packages even after DSM reinstall

Unread post by Pixel5 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:25 pm

cfuttrup wrote:
Pixel5 wrote:does anyone have an idea what to do?
Synology support ticket - follow their instructions - they will ask for access to your computer - there's a feature in DSM to do so.

P.S. Weird how my initial reply became detached from the post that I replied to...

Best regards,
Claus
just got my reply from the support and its not really helpful at all.

tried some troubleshooting steps like reinstalling DSM once again with less RAM installed, doing a memory test which for some reason doesnt give you any kind of report how it went.
Interestingly the support mentioned their log file shows signs of a faulty file system even tho this one was just created and is reported as normal and error free in DSM.

lastly they just told me to delete my volume and start from absolute Zero again instead of fixing the problem in any other way.

Now i have to move a few terabytes of data to other drives so i can delete everything and spend another week moving files back and building up a new volume.

Extremely disappointed at this point, i have gone for another synology system as an upgrade so its a seamless process and i dont need to spend much time to get it going, now i have spend every single evening for a week fixing stuff and all i get told to is to Delete even more because DSM is apparently not able to repair its database when you reinstall it.

Unless they pull something out of their hat to fix this very soon this box goes back to amazon and im gonna build my own system instead.

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”