Is backing up to a second volume on the same NAS a good strategy?

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
megalania
I'm New!
I'm New!

Is backing up to a second volume on the same NAS a good strategy?

Postby megalania » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm

I have a DS1515+ with 5 x 10GB disks in SHR2. I am considering setting up 2 volumes and backing up from the first to the second.

Is this a good strategy to improve reliability?

Pros and cons?
Last edited by megalania on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
eaz
Ace
Ace

Re: Is backing up to a second volume on the same gas a good strategy?

Postby eaz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:17 pm

A true backup is at a different location and other media.

Your setup reduces the risk of data loss, but will not protect against e.g.:
- A real issue like fire, lighting, ..
- Theft of your unit,
- a power supply or other DS issue that prevents boot up or worse: damages all disks.
- Malware that would attack all data on all disks.

In case the unit melts down, can you accept the downtime?

So it is all up to you and the business you are in if you think the risk reduction is sufficient an you can accept the remaining risk.
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106
coop777
Student
Student

Re: Is backing up to a second volume on the same gas a good strategy?

Postby coop777 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:28 pm

I am actually contemplating the same idea.

If this is for business and the data on the NAS is business critical - I completely agree with EAZ

If personal, then it is all subjective to your personal risk level...
Squozen
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Is backing up to a second volume on the same NAS a good strategy?

Postby Squozen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Backing up to a volume hosted on different spindles is better than nothing. Backing up to a volume on shared spindles is fairly pointless as if you lose the underlying disk group you're just as screwed as if you'd done nothing.
megalania
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby megalania » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:24 am

The disk group has 5 disks in SHR2, so in theory I need to lose 3 disks before I lose the disk group?

Are there failure significant failure modes that will take out a disk group other than individual disk failures or catastrophic loss of the whole unit by fire, lighting, etc that would take out all disks.

I don't know a lot about NAS and I don't understand why the seperate spindle scenario is more reliable than shared spindles.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:43 am

It was already said here. In general its up to you and how much you value your data. Personally I would backup to an external USB drive if nothing else just so you can detach it and move it somewhere from time to time. Having your data and backup in the same spot is just not safe. Better then nothing sure, but hdd's will fail and can fail at any point so again, it all comes down to how much you value your data.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”