Multiple Volumes/Disk

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
vuldub
Beginner
Beginner

Multiple Volumes/Disk

Postby vuldub » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm

I have a new DS418j that I install 3 4TB drives configured as SHR RAID. I did not setup up a disk group for these original 3 disks, they were simply configured as SHR RAID and as one single volume. I understand the hierarchy of disk groups vs volumes.

I would like to add a 4th disk 8TB, but not have it as part of the original raid group - so a separate disk group - thus one group as 3 drive in SHR RAID and one group as 1 (8TB) single.

My main concern in adding the fourth disk is I have data on the 3 RAID disks I do not want to disturb.

If i insert the new 4th disk into the system will I be able to separate it in a unique disk group? Or will it automatically attempt to add it to my RAID?

Since I do not have any disk groups, would I need to start completely over and wipe the 3 RAID volumes to have them configure in a disk group?
Srandista
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Multiple Volumes/Disk

Postby Srandista » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 pm

In DSM 6.1 you should be able to migrate Volume to Disk Group, when you are adding new disk to array. You have to use SHR tho.

From Release Notes: "You can now migrate a single volume to a disk group and then create multiple volumes while using SHR."

When you look at Storage Manager, there is Manage button under Volume tab. You should see option "Convert to Disk Group by adding hard disks". Before adding disk, it's greyed out, after adding disk should be applicable.
DS218+ 6GB RAM / 2x4TB WD Red (btrfs) / DSM 6.1.4
vuldub
Beginner
Beginner

Postby vuldub » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Srandista wrote:In DSM 6.1 you should be able to migrate Volume to Disk Group, when you are adding new disk to array. You have to use SHR tho.

From Release Notes: "You can now migrate a single volume to a disk group and then create multiple volumes while using SHR."

When you look at Storage Manager, there is Manage button under Volume tab. You should see option "Convert to Disk Group by adding hard disks". Before adding disk, it's greyed out, after adding disk should be applicable.

As I am nervous what it will do when I insert the 4th disk, I am asking these questions in advance.
As it stands now with just the 3 drives in SHR RAID single volume, the option migrate a volume to a disk group is not available.; as well the option to create a disk group is not available.
If I understand you, when I insert the new drive a new option will be presented that allows me to migrate the existing volume to a disk group, then create a new disk group for the single 8TB drive. Correct?
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 am

You dont need to convert anything.
Simply insert the 4th disk and create a new volume on it.

It wont be mirrored in this case.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
synology_ukman
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby synology_ukman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 am

HarryPotter wrote:You dont need to convert anything.

So not recommended....
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 am

His goal was 3 disks in shr and 1 drive as single. Recommended or not is not part of the question. There are many reasons not to use redundancy.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
vuldub
Beginner
Beginner

Postby vuldub » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:40 pm

HarryPotter wrote:You dont need to convert anything.

Good to know. So I will have two volumes (1 3x4TB and 1 1x8TB) and no disk groups? I am a bit confused now. I thought in order to subdivide volumes you had to have disk groups.

Also, yes I do not want the 8TB drive mirrored. It by itself will be used manually to back up another drive in another NAS. If I was to put in into the 3x4TB raid, I would not be able to use all 8TB of its space.
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Yes you will have 2 volumes.
Disk groups are only needed if you want to create multiple volumes on the same group of disks. Thats not the case in your situation.

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
vuldub
Beginner
Beginner

Postby vuldub » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:51 pm

HarryPotter wrote:Yes you will have 2 volumes.
Disk groups are only needed if you want to create multiple volumes on the same group of disks. Thats not the case in your situation.

Thank you Mr. Potter. Cheers.
vuldub
Beginner
Beginner

Postby vuldub » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 am

I finally received the new 8Tb hard drive. Inserted it into slot 4. It shows up as an uninitialized disk, but there is no option to simply add a new volume. I can Volume, manage: "convert disk group by adding hard drives" or
Volume, create: "custom"

Where do I go to add this new volume?
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:36 am

vuldub wrote:I finally received the new 8Tb hard drive. Inserted it into slot 4. It shows up as an uninitialized disk, but there is no option to simply add a new volume. I can Volume, manage: "convert disk group by adding hard drives" or
Volume, create: "custom"

Where do I go to add this new volume?

custom then basic as volume type
vuldub
Beginner
Beginner

Postby vuldub » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 am

sincarne wrote:custom then basic as volume type

That option is not listed. Options listed under Custom are Single Volume on RAID or Multiple Volumes on RAID. Remember, I do not want to disturb the existing 3 disk volume.
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:05 pm

vuldub wrote:
sincarne wrote:custom then basic as volume type

That option is not listed. Options listed under Custom are Single Volume on RAID or Multiple Volumes on RAID. Remember, I do not want to disturb the existing 3 disk volume.

either option work
vuldub
Beginner
Beginner

Postby vuldub » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 am

sincarne wrote:either option work

Well I took the leap of faith and selected one of the responses and it becomes apparent that the process will only affect the newly added drive. So it worked out. Thanks.

But I hate programs that expect you to make a choice in order to find out what happens later. Let me know up front Synology - if you are reading this...

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”