Configuring RAID 0 in 2-bay NAS - for those programming challenged...

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
fafanu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Configuring RAID 0 in 2-bay NAS - for those programming challenged...

Postby fafanu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:43 am

Hi!

I am a home user with some experience using Synology - I have had a DS211 for almost 6 years.

I have just bought a new Synology DS216play with 2 x Seagate Ironwolf HDD 4TB, for the purpose of turning it into a media server. So I wanted a RAID 0 configuration.

The automatic installation configured both HDD in SHR mode (which is basically RAID 1). I re-installed the system, thinking I had missed a custom volume configuration. But I did not.

The following video proved extremely helpful:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=synology+merging+volume+1+and+volume+2+in+raid+0&qpvt=synology+merging+volume+1+and+volume+2+in+raid+0&view=detail&mid=005A76E21C51CF0D70E2005A76E21C51CF0D70E2&FORM=VRDGAR

However (silly me) - thinking like a windows guy, I was unaware of the option to remove all volumes. Which is obviously necessary in order to create the new raid 0 partition.

So do it like in the videa, but, before: go to "Storage manager" - "Volume" and just click "Remove". You will be prompted to confirm and enter the admin password.

And that's it.

Very simple

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”