SHR protection only on one group

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
jaapaap
I'm New!
I'm New!

SHR protection only on one group

Postby jaapaap » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Is it possible to use the SHR protection/mirroring off two hard drives only on a certain group?

I have one group for myself and one group as a Time Machine for my mac. I think it's a bit a waste of space to have two back up's of my laptop because I also have CrashPlan. So I would like to use the mirroring option only on my personal group and use the 3TB I reserved for Time Machine for a second group/party.
eaz
Ace
Ace

Re: SHR protection only on one group

Postby eaz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:15 pm

That is not possible.
Raid based systems work by disk, not by part of a disk.
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”