DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
paume
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Postby paume » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:08 am

Guys, this is bad, add me to the list too. My 1815+ (purchased July 2015) died today. I can't believe a software update can fry a unit, but this is my hypothesis given all the similar cases reported in this thread in the past days, until proven otherwise.
Ernegien
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Postby Ernegien » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:43 am

So far I've been pretty unimpressed with Synology's support presence. I guess I had just assumed they'd be open on weekends but was surprised to find out otherwise. This alone is enough to disqualify them from being used for anything other than tertiary backup storage.

Rather than wait for a response, I decided to at least try to dig up as much additional info as possible in the meantime. Below is a screenshot of the PSU info for others that may wish to compare against theirs. Disconnecting it from the chassis and then attempting to power it on by itself when plugged in (by shorting the PS_ON with a GND pin) does nothing, so I'm fairly confident the PSU has failed in my particular case.

The two most likely situations that I can come up with is Synology has either accidentally messed with the staggered spin-up properties of the hard drives in a recent update causing additional stress during startups, and/or there's a bad batch of PSUs floating around which are beginning to fail. I doubt these PSUs have any kind of firmware running on them, so I would assume this is a mechanical failure instead of a software bricking. The device has probably only been rebooted 5-10 times over the course its limited lifetime so there hasn't been much of an opportunity to stress test it regularly from a power perspective. It is fully-slotted however, with five 4 TB WD Reds (ST4000VN000-1H4168) and the remaining three with 4 TB Deskstar NAS drives (HDN724040ALE640). Perhaps the startup draw was too much for this dinky PSU this time around?
EdRandom
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby EdRandom » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi, another DS1815+ that won't power on; failed PSU most likely.

It's been shipped to Synology for warranty repair - 3 weeks ago now; this a *very* long time to be without my primary NAS.
I can understand stuff breaks, just wish repairs were faster.

Is there a compatible replacement PSU that I could keep in stock for when/if this happens again?
paume
Trainee
Trainee

Postby paume » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:15 pm

I just did a GRN-BLK short pin test on my PSU and it shows some signs of being alive (it does a pretty quiet hum, I think the fan stays off though). It still might be the PSU's fault if it's not sending the right amount of power, but I thought I would share this finding.
Ernegien
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Ernegien » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:47 am

Just to keep everyone updated on my situation, and to describe Synology's RMA process in greater detail for those that need to do the same and wish to optimize their approach:

TLDR: I'm in the US, so this may be slightly different for others. Call in if you can, you'll get a quicker response versus email. Request an "Advanced RMA" for those willing to submit credit card information (they only take Visa, Mastercard, and Discovery) so they ship the replacement before waiting to receive the defective unit. They'll obviously charge your card ($999.99 in this case) and refund it when they receive the return. The shipping cutoff is 12 PM Pacific, so if they receive your filled-out RMA beforehand they should ship it same-day. They give you 21 days to ship the defective unit back.

I'm still disappointed in their lack of weekend support. Even limited hours or overseas would be much better than nothing at all. I will definitely be weighing in other options going forward.

This morning they responded to the ticket I've opened previously describing my hardware failure, and automatically opened up (no questions asked) what they call a "Standard RMA" which sent me an email with further instructions to log into their website and submit the claim. The catch with this being, you must first ship your defective unit back, and they wait to receive/process it before shipping you the replacement. Their standard UPS ground (free) estimated times are 5 business days in the US so doubling the wait time just isn't acceptable here in my opinion. Email support reps appear to do the bare minimum (no surprise there) so I'd definitely recommend getting on the phone with them instead.

I waited to call them after work to see if I could give them my credit card info where they would then be comfortable shipping me the replacement immediately. Hold time was a minute or two, and the person I spoke to was easy to understand. I had expected some push-back due to other claims in this thread, but after placing me on hold for roughly 5 minutes while they obtained permission, they then sent me another email for an "Advanced RMA" which gave me exactly what I wanted.

I also asked if they were having some kind of overall issue with the 1815+ units and they mentioned there were an elevated number of reports, but I didn't drill into it any further. I'd imagine they might be willing to answer some additional followup questions (if they had any additional information internally), I just didn't want to be "that guy". Hopefully the new unit has a different PSU model/revision. I'll update again if I find out otherwise, since I acknowledge the unfortunate chance of receiving the same possibly defective part in a new unit. If this becomes a yearly thing after warranty I'll probably just hack up a proper external PSU once researching the 8 and 12 pin pinouts for the backplane. I would have expected to get at least 5 years out of this, now I'm not so sure...
avinatbezeq
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby avinatbezeq » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:03 pm

Mine also died today. However, it's a DS415+ :(
EdRandom
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby EdRandom » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:23 am

Update: I received my replacement DS1815+ yesterday, after 3 weeks.

It appears to be a brand new unit, not a refurbished one. Will need to check production date (if possible) to verify.
paume
Trainee
Trainee

Postby paume » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Today I finally received an email reply from Synology concerning my dead ds1815+. In all justice I must say that they offered me to process an advanced RMA, no credit card required, despite the fact that this service is usually provided for xs/xs+ equipment only. The deal is they will send out a replacement on February the 3rd provided that I get the defective unit to them by February the 23rd. I still have to find out whether I should ship the defective unit to Taiwan or I can use a branch in Europe instead, but either way works for me as long as there is any action taken on their side.

On another hand, I checked the DSM thread and it appears that a few users are complaining about improper shutdowns after installing DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9, in some cases with reboot cycles set only a few minutes apart. I am pretty confident that my unit died as a result of a situation similar to this, whether the PSU (most likely) or the MBO were stressed to the point of failure, I don't know.

After going through this experience, which unfortunately is not over yet, I ordered an extra PSU to keep in the drawer as a replacement. Anybody interested should google the keyword Synology PSU 250W_3, although stocks are moving quickly, and I'm not surprised.
Last edited by paume on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommyd
Novice
Novice

Postby tommyd » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:48 pm

My year old DS1815+ failed about 3 weeks ago. Just finished the return process.
Several day wait for email response, week long advance shipment coast to coast and then week long return coast to coast.
Replacement unit appears to be brand new.

In my case it was definitely NOT the PSU.
I found the NAS dead and it refused to power up even with all hard drives removed.
I immediately removed the cover to troubleshoot.
Removed the power supply ATX connector from the NAS motherboard.
PSU powered up fine, PSU fan ran and ALL voltages on the connector checked out when not connected to the NAS.
When connected to the NAS, the NAS power button failed to even cause the PSU fan to try to move.

My biggest concern is my almost 2 year old DS415+ failed exactly 3 month before the DS1815+.
Same failure - power switch has no effect but external power brick voltages OK.
Synology also replaced with advance shipment.

The DSXX15+ family does not seem to be reliable.
Of my four XX15+ NAS units, half have failed with less than 2 years use !!!

I now have two DS1815+'s configured as a HA cluster (High Availability).
The primary keeps the secondary in sync and if the primary fails the secondary takes over immediately.
Downside is the hard drives never go to sleep since the two NAS units ping each other continuously.
At least my data will still be accessible when one dies !!!

I hope the DSXX17+ replacements have better reliability !!!!
buckyb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby buckyb » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:39 am

My 1515+ purchased in September 2015 just died today. Sounds like an epidemic. Haven't contacted Synology yet.
joel4015
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby joel4015 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:58 am

Same here.

My DS1815+ purchased october 2015 died 28th january.

I brought it back to my reseller who took it in RMA

I bought another one in the meantime as I need for private and professional use.

I hope that an update will soon be put online because it is a serious problem. (If this is caused by the firmware)
Antoni
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Antoni » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Same here also,

My unit is died (bought in 05/2015), I can't believe this situation with these units!, we have all files in this unit so we are not working at all!!. Tomorrow we will talk to our distributor to find a solution and how we can get a replacement unit..., I think Synology should have special attention with those case, these units are designed just for SME business...

Would someone that already have a new unit, could show us how we can restore the settings, data and the rest of files without loose anything ?

Please!!
Antoni.
Synology DS1815+
Synology DS1515+
Synology DS716+II (*2)
Synology DS415+
Synology DS713+
Synology DS112j
Synology RT1900ac (*2)
joel4015
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby joel4015 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:11 am

@Antoni

I received yesterday my brand new DS1815 +. (I bought a new one as no time to wait for repair)

I was very afraid of not being able to retrieve my data. (RAID6)

I could easily recover everything by proceeding like this:

1: Installing an old small capacity hard drive in NAS array 1
2: Start the NAS and make the basic configuration (Server name, user, password, DSM installation)
3: Once on the DSM desktop, turn off the NAS
4: Installing hard drives EXACTLY in the same order as on the defective DS1815 + (1 , 2 , 3 , etc)
5: Turn on the DS1815 + and let it check the RAID

In this way, I found all my data, the packages installed, users, shared files, MySQL databases and the configuration of the server, exactly as it was in my DS1815 + defect.

I hope that my data retrieval experience will be useful to you.

I do not know if I was lucky, but it's worth trying.

The only problem is that disks were installed with the update version 9 of DSM and that i can not donwgrade the software. I hope the problem will not come back ....

When my other DS1815 + will come back from the RMA, I will keep it in case the new one dies again.

I hope that Synology will react to this problem and offer us an update quickly if the problem was caused by the software. An error may occur, the important thing is to take measures quickly so that it does not happen again.

I keep trust in the brand, but if my new DS1815+ dies again and the RMA one is not back, I think I look with regret towards other suppliers because I can not afford this kind of situations again ...

Good day to all :-) and sorry for my bad english.

Joel
Jedman1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Jedman1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 am

Hi to all.
Received my replacement 1815+ by courier yesterday.
Have to say, my reseller, Megabuy Australia was pretty good with this, after 2 weeks of farting around trying to get the RMA process sorted between Synology, the reseller, and me, I had the brand new unit at my house 4 days after the reseller recieved the old one. The whole Synology return process seems pretty messed up, way too much talking about it rather than just posting out a replacement.

But anyway....
Put my 8 drives back in their correct slots ( I numbered them before taking them out), booted up, logged in to DSM, it said "recovering", and a few minutes later it was all good.

I did not have a configuration backup. This should be good news for alot of you.

I haven't updated DSM, Im still on DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8, it wants to download and update to 9.....
Im thinking 9 is the update that screwed everyone, at least going from the dates, thats the one that self destructed my unit.

Would really like to hear from a Synology technician about what has happened and how we move forward with updates.
I cant believe they are not aware of this thread by now. Why not address it?

This thread is turning into the biggest QNAP/ FREENAS ad on the internet.
HelloHelloHello
Student
Student

Postby HelloHelloHello » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 am

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/

It uses a chip designated in this article saying there is a possible flaw.

Might not be the exact issue but kind of coincidental?

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”