DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
JJRode
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Unread post by JJRode » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Just an update from my last post...

I received my replacement 1815+ yesterday.

Swapped in my old drives in their original order, recovered using the Synology assistant, changed my IP address and changed the media server LAN port.

Up and running exactly the same as before the hardware failure.

Other than waiting for the Christmas break this has taken me less than 2 hours of effort.

I still don't trust the 1815+ unit but I'll run it for a few more years and upgrade to a different Synology unit.

screege
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Unread post by screege » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 am

Mine just died today, no power no anything, it was randomly restarting a few days ago so I decided to factory reset and and was doing fine a couple of days ago, I purchased it from amazon I live in Mexico are they sending again same 1815+ units? I would hope they could send a bug free 1817+ does anyone knows that?

Regards

ChewyWaffles
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ChewyWaffles » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Power outage this morning in my area. Woke up to a dead DS1815+

:(

jbucklew
I'm New!
I'm New!

Lost LAN & Unable to Reset - Whats Left??

Unread post by jbucklew » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:29 am

I submitted a request to Synology support but while I'm waiting I thought I would see if the community has any ideas.

Model: DS1815+

The system has operated without errors for almost four years. Starting four days ago the NAS lost connection to the internet, both external and internal. My router did not list it as an attached device. Additionally, the LAN LED lights on the NAS and my router were not on. I tried a different Cat6 cable that I know works. This resulted in no change. I shutdown the NAS by holding down the power button on the front of the unit. After about a minute I restarted the NAS by pressing the power button. It was able to reconnect to the network and everything seemed to be back to normal. The next day the abnormality I just described occurred again. After restarting the unit an amber alert light began to flash as well as eight amber lights flashing across the top of the HDD bays. The unit would not connect to the internet and my router did not list it as a connected device. I removed all the HDD's, power cycled the NAS as well as my router and modem. This resulted in no change. I tried to soft reset the NAS. There was no tone or change to the amber LED's flashing. I tried a hard rest. Once again there was no tone or change to the amber LED's flashing. I am out of ideas...

sincarne
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Lost LAN & Unable to Reset - Whats Left??

Unread post by sincarne » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:43 am

jbucklew
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Lost LAN & Unable to Reset - Whats Left??

Unread post by jbucklew » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:09 am

Thanks for the tip.

At the moment I can't recall where I purchased the NAS. In my original post I mentioned that the NAS had been running without problems for close to four years but I'm horrible with time so it could easily be closer to three years. Is there any way for me to find out if my NAS is still covered by the warranty extension? >> Considering I doubt I have the receipt or box and the distributer I purchased it from is for the moment (Potentially forever) forgotten.

ukmdb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ukmdb » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 pm

I found this temporary fix which enabled me to get power back and copy my much needed files off until I get a replacement.
Hope this also helps others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWH0ZOCyW8s&t=435s

RV-Junke
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by RV-Junke » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:09 am

My DS1815+ with Expansion DX513died today as well. Purchased in Jan 2016, so a little over 2 years old. No issues until today when it suddenly died. Submitted an advance RMA, hopefully the replacement is not too difficult. :D

agianino
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by agianino » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:21 pm

DS1815+ started reboot loop but was still working as the loop would stop for anywhere between an hour to a day or more, opened ticked with Synology for an advanced RMA... The very day the new unit arrived from Synology, mine died and would not power on. Transferred the disks to the new unit, powered it up, logged in and everything was good. Took about a day for a parity check but other than that it was seamless.

mw108
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS1515+ won't start anymore

Unread post by mw108 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:04 am

I purchased my DS1515+ on 31st Jan 2016. So timely after the 2 years warranty ran out, it just died. It was working yesterday and now today I went to work, but I couldn't access the NAS. So I was wondering whats wrong and went to the server room to see that the NAS is off. I pushed the power button, nothing. I removed the power cable, waited for like 10-15 minutes, put it back in, pushed the power button, nothing. I removed all drives, carefully cleaned out the inside with a vacuum cleaner to free it from dust, put everything back in, pushed the power button, nothing. The cable has power though.

This is a huge problem, because ALL MY FREAKING WORK DATA IS STORED ON THE NAS and now I'm grounded and can't work! This is bad. Really really really bad and extremely disappointing. Especially when it happened right on time after the 2 years warranty went off.

I know RMA and stuff, but how long does it take and what do I do in the meantime? This is not good ... Wow. I'm so mad and speechless at the same time. Just wow ... :|

synology_ukman
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: DS1515+ won't start anymore

Unread post by synology_ukman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:10 am

3 Yrs on DS1515+
+ Extra Year
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/company/ ... s%20Update

Still mad?

mervincm
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by mervincm » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 pm

mw108 wrote:I purchased my DS1515+ on 31st Jan 2016. So timely after the 2 years warranty ran out, it just died. It was working yesterday and now today I went to work, but I couldn't access the NAS. So I was wondering whats wrong and went to the server room to see that the NAS is off. I pushed the power button, nothing. I removed the power cable, waited for like 10-15 minutes, put it back in, pushed the power button, nothing. I removed all drives, carefully cleaned out the inside with a vacuum cleaner to free it from dust, put everything back in, pushed the power button, nothing. The cable has power though.

This is a huge problem, because ALL MY FREAKING WORK DATA IS STORED ON THE NAS and now I'm grounded and can't work! This is bad. Really really really bad and extremely disappointing. Especially when it happened right on time after the 2 years warranty went off.

I know RMA and stuff, but how long does it take and what do I do in the meantime? This is not good ... Wow. I'm so mad and speechless at the same time. Just wow ... :|
Pick up another similar Synology NAS, throw your disks in, and recover. Synology works great this way, you will be back up and running much faster than nearly any similar solution. After RMA your refurbed 1515+ will be a great backup unit.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED

mw108
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mw108 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:36 am

synology_ukman wrote:3 Yrs on DS1515+
+ Extra Year
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/company/ ... s%20Update

Still mad?
Yes, I read about it. Phew. This gives me some relief. But still troublesome. Issued my ticket 2 days ago and no response as of yet. :?
mervincm wrote:Pick up another similar Synology NAS, throw your disks in, and recover. Synology works great this way, you will be back up and running much faster than nearly any similar solution. After RMA your refurbed 1515+ will be a great backup unit.
Thats a good idea. And given the response time and upcoming Chinese holidays, it looks like it takes quite some time until I get a working unit back.

stiff_shifter
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Keeps Shutting Down - Panic!

Unread post by stiff_shifter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 pm

CliffInAuldReekie wrote:I have just acquired a similar-ish issue. Update 3 on 6.1.4-15217 DS1815+.

It starts OK and I can get logged in for a while, then it stops all network activity.
  • Power light is on
    Disk lights are flashing
    Network lights are on solidly but intermittently blink in unison
If I press the power button for a few seconds until it flashes, it should power down. It doesn't. It just sits flashing.

If I press and hold the power button until it dies with a thud, then press it again and it will power up and I can access it briefly - for circa 10 minutes.

It connects to Synology server then goes offline on all 4 lan connections (fixed IP addresses reserved in my router). Not ping-able and Synology Assistant reports the DS1815+ as offline.

Router is behind a Virgin Hub but that is configured to run in modem mode and neither of these units have been reconfigured in a long time.

I have a DS 1812+ running the at the same update level on the same domestic network without issue.

There are no logged errors other than it objecting to abnormal power-down.
DS1812+ only has 2 LAN ports. The only other hardware difference is the 1815+ is connected to a APC UPS.

I have raised a problem ticket and am awaiting a response from Synology.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.
In a similar position over the last week.

DS 1515+ purchased October 2015 and working fine since. Updated to latest firmware ran without error for a week.

2 days ago receive an email about improper shutdown due to power failure.
Users report lights still on unit, but not accessible.
Unit rebooted by pressing and holding power button until beep then allowed to power off and then switched back on
Connection re-established, nothing reported in logs.
Unit worked for another 4 days without error
In the last 24 hours unit has shut down 4 times, same as before email received, lights remain on but not accessible.
Ticket raised with Synology (but Chinese new year means they are closed until 20th!!)

renard-ad
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by renard-ad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:06 am

renard-ad wrote:One more unit died ... DS1815+ (with various hard drives).

My NAS suddenly shut down many times. After disconnecting the power cord, and waiting approximatively 15 seconds, I connect it and the NAS restarts. Sometimes, it powers off suddenly in the restart process.
I first thought the issue was software related and linked to the file system errors I still not have the time to cure (I need a huge temporary storage space). So I let time go.
Now, the NAS doesn't start anymore. So it's not software but hardware. The power unit seems to work : standby voltage present and ability to start by a shunt between PS_ON and GND.

Thanks to this thread and others, I understood the issue on my NAS is hardware and due to CPU. So I asked Synology to do a RMA process in order to replace with no fees the defective parts of the NAS. I'm waiting for their answer (Christmas holidays...).

I now think that the system files issues are also related to unwanted hard reboots :(

For information, I bought it in May 2015 on amazon.fr

I will update the story ...

PS : I copied a part of honkmasta's post, which case looked similar to mine.
I contacted French support which said me I had to return the nas back to UK,with no refund of shipping costs. I asked for refunding them and upgrading to 1817+.

In parallel, I contacted amazon.fr where I bought it. They were impressive. Thes accepted to refund the nas and shipping costs. That's what I chose. I then bought a 1817+ and the migration was easy.

After that, I finally received the Synology's support answer (too late, too bad) which accepted upgrade to 1817+. It would have cost me less to pay shipping cost and be refunded that sending back for free to amazon and pay the extra for 1817+.

I then had to consider again the previous issue (caused by the unwanted reboots of C2000) : the corrupted file system... Here we go, it's a good opportunity to switch to btrfs !

For your information. When the 1815+ was dead, I tried to put the resistor but it didn't start (too late I think).

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”