DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
d00m
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Postby d00m » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:16 pm

If it's a rush problem, after leaving some time on the case from the web, you can call and inform them of the web case #, it'S rush and need an advance RMA and both times I had to do it, within 1 hour after the call, I got the RMA#
Gecko483
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Postby Gecko483 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Just as a reference here so you know what my experience was i own a DS1815+ and it had this issue where it would not power on.

Steps i used to troubleshoot and find out what the issue was:

1. take off the external cover (6 screws) and verify there is a ground to the internal PSU on the green line to the power supply from the motherboard.
-If this is not present the motherboard output to the PSU could be the trouble in which case you can do one of two things:
- short the ground to the green line on the PSU main harness ( Same way you turn on a ATX power supply).

If you want to see a quick tutorial on this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... hout-a-PC/

This will power on the PSU, in which case the Disk Station may boot normally, but be warned this disables the ability of the motherboard to turn off the PSU when it shuts down.

This helped me get by while waiting on a replacement unit from Synology.
Herrjedermann
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Herrjedermann » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:34 am

Ok, here's another 1815+ that just died after several autonomous reboots. Shut down by me for a cold start and now it's dead. The 1815+ was part of a SHA Cluster and I now need to pray that the other faulty 1815+ (same Intel chip series) keeps running until the replacement is inhouse...

When I asked support for a replacement due to faulty hardware being delivered (sort of "almost dead on arrival"), months ago, they told me they won't replace it but handle the cases expedited. Now, let's see how they interpret their own "expedite"...
Herrjedermann
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Herrjedermann » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks, Gecko483.

Strange things happen these days... I disconnected the 1815+ and moved it out of the rack. Plugged it in in a different power source - no lights, no led, no life.
Moved it up to our IT office and plugged it in yet another power source, different power cable - no lights, no led, no life.
Kept the box disconnected from powersource for 5 minutes, plugged it in again: - no lights, no led... you get the idea...
Then, in pure frustration, let it sit there, connected to the power source and almost 45 minutes later, without pushing any button, the box came back to life.
[Please control your language]?!?!?

Installed a fresh system just to see what happens. And lo and behold, the box is running "all green". It said a (logical) volume (Raid5, btrfs) was crashed. But all HDs SMART-status is green.

I just don't have any confidence in this box anymore. How would one be able to explain such a behavior? Being dead for hours and suddenly - with no interaction - coming back to life.
sawwee
Beginner
Beginner

Postby sawwee » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:49 am

Herrjedermann wrote:Thanks, Gecko483.

Strange things happen these days... I disconnected the 1815+ and moved it out of the rack. Plugged it in in a different power source - no lights, no led, no life.
Moved it up to our IT office and plugged it in yet another power source, different power cable - no lights, no led, no life.
Kept the box disconnected from powersource for 5 minutes, plugged it in again: - no lights, no led... you get the idea...
Then, in pure frustration, let it sit there, connected to the power source and almost 45 minutes later, without pushing any button, the box came back to life.

Installed a fresh system just to see what happens. And lo and behold, the box is running "all green". It said a (logical) volume (Raid5, btrfs) was crashed. But all HDs SMART-status is green.

I just don't have any confidence in this box anymore. How would one be able to explain such a behavior? Being dead for hours and suddenly - with no interaction - coming back to life.

Exactly the same happened with my DS1515+, except that instead of 45 minutes I had to wait half day to get it back into life without any interaction. However my happiness didn't last long, because at the next restart the device died again - forever.
shcsbaker
Trainee
Trainee

Postby shcsbaker » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 am

Add me to the list. I was getting the emails and over the weekend decided to shut down the NAS and give it a good cleaning and I couldn't get it to restart. Got in touch with Synology on Monday and didn't have to explain much before getting the RMA. I asked if I was getting a new or a replacement, to which I was told it's a "refurbished and tested unit with a fix applied to the issue". I asked him if I could get a credit for the 1815+ and purchase the 12 bay NAS, but he said no. I felt like that was poor customer service. I expect a HD to fail at some point, but the not the equipment. I found this thread today and I'm beginning to feel that emptiness in my stomach that I may have spend A LOT of money for flawed equipment. I purchased my unit back in Nov 2015 from Newegg for $960.99. I'm hoping someone here may be able to offer some answers.

1) I wish I would have asked the tech, but what is the "Fix" applied to the issue? It seems after reading through this thread that the problem is the Intel Atom C2538 CPU and since the 1817+ shipped with the same CPU seems unlikely they replaced the CPU.

2) My unit lasted right at 19 months, so what happens if the replacement unit dies around the same time, but out of warranty? Just seems they are replacing the unit just to run out the clock.

3) Has anyone had a replacement unit fail?

I've been impressed with Synology and even use their router. I thought they had everyone beat in the quality of their product, but given the number of folks I see that is having this same issue and the poor customer service from Synology, I may start looking at other NAS units. I really feel like they should have given us more options... buy back the unit, allow us to trade it in, given us free overnight or at least 2 day service on the replacement unit or maybe even a Amazon Gift card for our trouble. They just didn't seem to feel any urgency in helping me get back up and running. In fact after I filled out the RMA stuff (right when they opened on Monday) to get the replacement first and then ship my unit back, I had to call back on Tuesday to ask why the replacement had already shipped (I thought I forget to fill out something or check a box somewhere), it finally shipped and should arrive Monday the 17th.. a full 7 days sitting without my files.
PrintHouse
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby PrintHouse » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:11 pm

My DS 1515+ died this morning without warning just like all the others in this thread. Purchased September 2015.

IF the culprit is Intel Atom C2538, is it advisable to get DS 916+ or will I run into problems with data restore?

OR would it be better to buy a new DS 1515+, restore the data and then treat the replacement unit as backup and hope for the best?
richyo
Trainee
Trainee

Postby richyo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:40 am

Update on my issue quoted below. It turned off again today (3 weeks later from the first symptoms). Did a update last night and i swear it was working before i left home in the afternoon. No power outage or anything and NAS was off when i got home. Won't turn back on even after leaving it unplugged.

Contacting Synology now. Might need to find a box...

richyo wrote:Adding my issue. Reading this really got me worried! I have my NAS setup to stay off after power is restored (i think that's a setting? otherwise it's my pc). So i noticed it was off due to power outage during the week. Tried to turn it on and nothing happened, held the power down and nothing. Checked everything and no lights were on. Unpluged it and back in without waiting and nothing happened.

Googled and found this thread. I tried to remove drives, nothing. Unplugged power and left it unplugged and waited. Plugged it back in and started working, then blue power LED blinked numerous times and turned off. Tried to power on again and nothing. Repeated the unplug and plug again. This time it showed a orange flashing status LED(drives still unplugged) and powered off. <b>Now the trend continues!</B> Tried to power on again with drives connected and nothing(without unplugging the power)!!! Repeated plug and unplug again. Started working and everything is accessible with no reported errors other than the unexpected shut down emai.l

Now I'll see what i need to grab off the drives before powering off again. Will also see what happens when i submit a case
DS1815+
4X WD RED 3TB
RAID 5
coop777
Student
Student

Postby coop777 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Richyo - If you go the advanced RMA route you can return the defective NAS in the box your replacement arrives in....
Troden
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Troden » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Seeing as this issue isn't going to go away anytime fast and from what I've read its heat related to the CPU.

Is it best to keep the unit cool and hope it lasts 10yrs like my previous crappy drobo did or work the hell out of it will add-ons, keep the heat up and try and get it to fail with in the warranty term so I can get the new Revision board?

I'm honestly torn between the options. I only got my unit this year so a bit upset I now have to be concerned with this issue on a brand new unit.
Hell I got a decade out of my Drobo and it isn't wasn't even dead, just upgraded to what I thought was a no brainer decision to the 1815+

*Sigh*
jecbanjo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jecbanjo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 pm

hello friends,
my new DS1517+ is death! serial is : 1740xxxxxxxxx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roAH8y1BWFg&t=14s
madop
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby madop » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Add another 1815+ to the list. Purchased mine mid June 2015.
sashi3mi3
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sashi3mi3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Add mine to the list

DS1815+ purchased in Dec 2015. They issued a RMA. But it is so sad to see it go bad so quickly when I was bragging about Synology to my friends after having poor experience with other NASs out there. Now I need to figure out how easy it is to copy set up over to new unit? I had surveillance center set up with additional licenses etc. Any pointers (may be i should look back on this thread) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ethereal
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ethereal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:30 am

DSM Version: 6.1.3-15152-2
(2017-07-26) Important Note
  • The update is expected to be available for all regions within the next few days, although the time of release in each region may vary slightly.
  • This update will restart your Synology NAS.
Fixed Issues
  • BIOS update to improve system stability. Applied models: DS1515+, DS1517+, DS1815+, DS1817+, DS2415+, DS415+, RS2416+, RS2416RP+, RS815+, RS815RP+.
  • Enhanced USB 2.0 compatibility for DS415+, RS2416+, and RS2416RP+.

BIOS update to address AVR54 bricking? Shouldn't 17+ models have been fixed at board-level already? This looks pretty suspicious/dodgy to me. Synology seems to know that something's gonna happen to the 17+ models in 18 months (and it's confirmed that these 17+ models are still clearing stock of the old stepping Atom C2538), so they give this stealth update without saying what's under the hood.. Is it made right finally (with a BIOS update)? Cisco did not need to do the expensively massive recall?
fremenik
Student
Student

Postby fremenik » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Herrjedermann wrote:Thanks, Gecko483.

Hello Herrjedermann
it looks like your RIAD volume encountered a problem and the non responsiveness of your devcie was related to the volume rebuilding it self, while the NAS was offline. I agree there should've been some activity with lights etc, but in the past I have found the Synology assistant software to be helpful in letting me know what the NAS is doing when I can't see anything like a DSM interface.
I hope this helps in the future.
Cheers

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”