DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Shadowblues
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Postby Shadowblues » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Another one just died. 2.5 years old.

So from saturday on I will have a main 1817+ and a backup 1815+ as soon as it gets back from warranty ...

CRAP!
punkle
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Postby punkle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Well, that was painless.
Short update on my dead DS1515+. After some time (more then a week) back'n'forth with reseller who simply *refused* to RMA the DS and only wanted to give me money back, i gave up and contacted Synology. After a few hours i got a response and ended up with sending the DS back to synology UK. Then weeks went by and my ticket apparently ran out. So a quick email to support again, a couple of hours later it was sorted and my support person "talked" with the RMA "department", and basically said my DS would be sendt in a day or so. A loooong week (and a cople of days) later i got the box in the mail today-
Unpacked it, let it sit in room temp for a few hours. Put my 5 data discs in, powered the DS up, open browser to find.synology.com, it was there! Got one option: Repair. Clicked it and ~12 minutes later my DS is back up, just as i left it before the other gone dead. Everything works, even the static IP is as it was.

Smoothest migration ever! :D
coop777
Student
Student

Postby coop777 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Glad to hear - that indeed is the one saving grace of this situation...you should also have the 1 year warranty extension.
JJRode
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby JJRode » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 pm

You can add me to the list of failures for the DS1815+. I have checked the power supply and can short the power on pin on the connector to ground and have the system go to blue flashing lights. I'm guessing that I have a failed connector to the power button or a bad board.

I have requested an RMA from Synology UK, hopefully I will get some response Monday

S/N 1530********

The unit has been under light duty, 24/7 operation since bought on 14 Sept 2015.

I purchased through Amazon and they have been no help, but did offer to give me a full refund. If Synology take a while to RMA I may purchase a new DS1817+ and get the refund on the DS1815+. Someone please tell me that the newer units aren't plagued with the same issues and the previous generation.
swrt64
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby swrt64 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Same story: my 1815+ died, no light, no fan, no noise.

Running from 03/2016.
Two days before, I received a dozen of alarm burst about "System booted up from an improper shutdown".

I am in France.
Ticket opened on Synology web site, waiting for answer. And mail send to the vendor support (materiel.net).
Janardan7
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Janardan7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Well add me to the long list of people with failed DS1815+ units.

I got mine from Amazon in US. Bought in 08/2015. Have 8 red WD drives in unit. Not heavy user but lots of photos stored on NAS
Sent several email's to Synology with only the auto response back thus far.

Read through all 26 pages of responses on this thread.

What a pain!! Anyone try to ask about upgrading to current DS1817+ unit? Is that an option? Will it be any better?
JJRode
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby JJRode » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm

quick update...

Synology UK has contacted me with the following;

"I would recommend we proceed with an RMA, so that we can process and dispatch a replacement for you (once the faulty unit has been received).

Unfortunately, due to a recent warehouse relocation, this has resulted in an RMA processing backlog of 1 to 3 weeks so there will be some delay before a replacement is shipped.
"

I told them that there RMA turnaround time was unacceptable for commercial grade equipment but I didn't have a choice and would proceed with the RMA anyway. I also mentioned that I wasn't surprised that their relocated warehouse was swamped considering all the units affected by the Intel chip problem.

Hopefully they don't take 3 weeks to get my NAS back...

I will inquire about replacing the unit with a model that doesn't have an inherent design fault and see where it gets me, my guess is nowhere.
Janardan7
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Janardan7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Update:

Got e-mail reply for advanced RMA to get replacement unit shipped out. Would have to pay a lot for expedited shipping (took the free shipping, I can wait 5 days).

Tried to ask about upgrading to ds1817+ but no reply to that question.

For those that have gotten replacement units I a few questions:

1. How did you know this is new unit versus refurbished unit?
2. How do you know this has new Atom Intel chip built after 02/2017?
3. How did the switch process go if you follow there instructions? Any warning tips?

Thanks all
richyb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby richyb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 am

I'm glad other people are having more success getting their DS1815+ RMAed then me. I found ours failed on the 27th of October and contacted Synology - got a response on the 30th where they bounced me back to the reseller - Amazon UK. Amazon could only offer a full refund of the item (which has gone up £200 since purchase) since they no longer had any stock. Synology's email did say "contact us again...e, the customer is possible to be charged all the fees that including two-way freight, duties, taxes and brokerage fee.".

I therefore emailed Synology on the 30th and they replied on the 31st for all the details (name, address etc which I had filled out in the first web form) and I replied straight away. I got the RMA number on the 2nd of November and had the drive dispatched to them under ParcelForce 24 hour and it was received on Friday the 3rd. 8th of November, I followed up asking how long it'll be and received on the 9th "After receiving the device, it'll take four weeks to examine and test a replacement.". On the 16th, I was "form emailed" "Your RMA item is received by Synology RMA team:".

So far, I'm really really unimpressed by Synology support - no mention of an "Advanced RMA" option, trying to fob me off with two way freight charges initially, poor/non-existent RMA tracking etc. For a business grade product, I would have expected less than a week turnaround for initial inquiry (my current "consumer grade gaming" PC, when brought, had a faulty graphics card which blew 2 power supplies - the manufacturer arranged for it to be picked up, repaired and back to me in 4 days: including a discount on a CPU upgrade).

The only "plus side" of this is the Amazon did, to their credit once I had asked 3 people if they could arrange a replacement or repair (even a refurbished unit) and said "since you brought new we can only provide new - and we don't have stock", did give me a 25% refund on the item (which covered the £50 postage and then some). I did feel a bit bad accepting it though as it wasn't Amazon's fault (Amazon didn't make the faulty product, they didn't decline to issue a recall when they knew about the issue and they also didn't discontinue the product).

I hope I get my Synology back and when it comes to the next time buying or recommending a NAS solution, I'm going to be hesitant to recommend Synology because of this.
Arif_Iqball
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Arif_Iqball » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Still waiting after three weeks. Synology Taiwan says work through a reseller but very hard to find a reseller willing to take a product bought in another country. One who was willing to work with me has not replied to my mails and calls for a week. The process should be easier for such well known problems. Am running out of patience now. Any advice is appreciated. Product was bought via B&H out of New York but I am in Japan now.
swrt64
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby swrt64 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:40 pm

I give you an update of my situation:
My DS1815+ died on nov 20 af mentionned in my previous post.

The vendor (Materiel.net, french site) replied quickly and gave me a RMA, I returned the product without charge.
I waited 4 days to be informed that the system was not working, and I that will have a replacement.
And "the manufacturer is not able to repair, nor is able to provide a new DS1815+".
It tooks again one week, and Materiel.net said that I will receive a new DS1817+.
Now waiting for confirmation of shipment.

swrt64
kike_RR
I'm New!
I'm New!

Another dead 1815+ Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration back

Postby kike_RR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi

I´m new in this forum, but this thread was very useful for me and i want to give some useful info for other users that wasn't mentioned here (i think).

The bad news

One more 1815+ bricked here, no lights, no power, no fans... nothing.

This monday, without any system update or any previous problem out 1815+ have died, it was purchased on July-2015, like most of dead ones in this post. It looks like to be obvious that some components installed on Summer 2015 were defective with terrible consequences for us.

1 - Dead NAS DSM was 5.4 (or 5.1 can´t remember), no updates for months due a conflict with a package, it was imposible to update it without risks so we leave it in this version. I give this info to clarify in my nas DSM update was not guilt.

2nd. Our NAS had 2 RAIDS and 3 individual HDDs

RAID A - SHR made of x3 6TB WD Red
RAID B - Raid 0 made of x2 6TB WD Red
x3 individual HDDs, x1 8Tb, x1 4Tb and x1 2Tb

How to migrate to a new NAS form a dead Synology

After the dead of my DS1815+ we were very concerned about our data integrity, specially the one hosted in SHR, due it´s a native Synology RAID. Of course migration process was critical for us.

1 - We purchased a brand new Synology DS1817+ (8gb) without waiting for Synology´s answer. In a corporate environment timings of Synology customer care are totally unacceptable (from 2 to 5 days in a company are thousand euros lost every day).

2º - We read the step by step guide provided by synology. It looks like to be clear, but we had the inconvenience of DSM 5.4 in dead NAS, all info talks about migrating between NAS with the same DSM. We where (very) worried about compatibility between DSM 5.X and 6.X

3º - We got our new 1817+ and try migration process (with crossed fingers)... and hopefully it was PERFECT!!!!!. I´ll try to give some missing info about this process.

a- When synology ask us to move HDDs from old NAS to the new one they are talking about moving ALL HDDs, even if you have different RAIDs, volumes or shared folders. Always move all disks.

b - Migration process is clean, quick and painless, just power up the new NAS with all HDDs connected in the same order as original NAS, followed procedure to connect to the new NAS, downloaded last DSM (as system asks), system rebooted and without any configuration backup new NAS kept up all the original configuration, including RSync, users, passwords, and most of the packages (compatible ones), VPN privileges... very soft and quick

In few minutes since replacement unit arrived (about 20m) we where online again, no pain, no problems, no data loss. We are now waiting Synology to send us a replacement for the 1815+ and will use it as a high availability backup to the 1817+... this point is not confirmed, but synology talk about "being under guarantee period" so we asume they will do their part and send us a replacement.

If synology send us the replacement we will keep confidence on Synology. A bad serie of units can happen, migration process is awesome and quick, so if customer service send a new unit we will be very happy and confident in synology for years (specially with a High availability cluster) ...

Hope this helps anyone. Thanks for all the support given in this forum
swrt64
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby swrt64 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 am

My last Update, usefull for french users I hope:

My DS1815+ died on nov 20 as mentionned in one previous post.

The vendor (Materiel.net, french site) replied quickly and gave me a RMA, I returned the product without charge.
I waited 4 days to be informed that the system was not working, and that I will have a replacement unit.
And that "the manufacturer is not able to repair, nor is able to provide a new DS1815+".
It tooks again one week, and Materiel.net said that I will receive a new DS1817+.
I received the replacement unit (DS1817+) the next day (december 5).
Starting with my disks (SHR Raid), migration OK.
I thank the materiel.net team for their comitment.

15 days from the failure to the new startup, I think that some users on this forum where less happy with the exchange process.
swrt64
coop777
Student
Student

Postby coop777 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:33 pm

I will say it again to anyone else whom goes through this - unfortunately you have to be on top of getting the support request moving, aside from the failure of the unit itself - which isn't really Synology's fault, even if you get the advanced RMA option, be prepared to wait...
3DVigilante
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby 3DVigilante » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:19 am

Well, add mine to the list of dead DS1815+ units. Received nearly 30 email notifications that the Synology unit experienced power failure and was improperly shutdown. Went home to shut it down, but when I tried to power it back up....dead. D-E-A-D dead. Purchased in October 2015. Running six 3TB WD Red drives, light usage. Support ticket opened. Let's see how it goes from here...

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”