Got one more NAS, transferring drives help

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mirkoj
Beginner
Beginner

Got one more NAS, transferring drives help

Postby mirkoj » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello,

My new DS415+ just arrived.
Beside taht I already have DS1813+. Ther eare 8 drives in there:
- First I installed 4x1TB in raid10 as Volume 1
- After couple months I've gto 4x3TB in raid10 as Volume 2

Now I would like to move those 4x1TB drives from Volume 1 into new DS415+

My question is actually where is DSM located and if I remove those 1TB drives will my DS1813+ still work fine with other drives from Volume 2 in there?

Volume 1 is rather small and I have it backup already so I don;t plan to migrate just to build new raid in new DS415+
But Volume 2 is a bit bigger and wouldn't like to risk loosing all as it is full of all of my project files so I just remember to check what would happen if I just unplug these 1TGB drives from Volume 1.
Could use help as soon as possible ofc.
Thanks!
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Re: Got one more NAS, transferring drives help

Postby maxxfi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:18 am

DSM is located on all active disks (in a RAID 1 fashion that takes all drives) so you should be able to remove all Volume1 drives and still be able to boot with only the remaining disks.
DS-106j > DS-210j > DS-411
mirkoj
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Got one more NAS, transferring drives help

Postby mirkoj » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Hehe now it is time for vice versea.
Got 4 more 3 tb drives and they are created as Volume1.
Now plan is to move all files and everything from Volume2 back to new Volume1 which is shr2 system and then to expand that with old disks to full 8x3tb volume. Hope it will work!

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”