Upgrade Disk or Migrate NAS first - order of operation

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
eyewanders
I'm New!
I'm New!

Upgrade Disk or Migrate NAS first - order of operation

Unread post by eyewanders » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 am

Just a simple best-practice question.
Preparing to migrate over from DS416j to DS918+ in the near future.
I've one disk I'd like to upgrade before or after (currently the last 1TB in the array, replacing with a 3TB).
Just curious if conventional wisdom suggests disk replacement first, or migration first, in terms of timing.

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Upgrade Disk or Migrate NAS first - order of operation

Unread post by HarryPotter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:24 pm

I wouldnt migrate but starting from scratch.
DS416j has a 16 TB volume limit, if you migrate, the volume still cant pass this limit.
I dont know if your file system is already btrfs, if not, best opportunity to change.

In case you still want to migrate, first move the disks to the new DS and replace the small disk after migration. The new DS will do the job faster.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

eyewanders
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by eyewanders » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:43 pm

HarryPotter wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:24 pm
I wouldnt migrate but starting from scratch.
DS416j has a 16 TB volume limit, if you migrate, the volume still cant pass this limit.
I dont know if your file system is already btrfs, if not, best opportunity to change.

In case you still want to migrate, first move the disks to the new DS and replace the small disk after migration. The new DS will do the job faster.
Thanks for the reply. Hmmm... That's sound thinking. I'm still EXT4 and moving to Btrfs would be nice. Though of course that introduces an entirely new challenge. Is there an applicable best-practice guide for doing this?
Currently I am running (in the DS416j) SHR with (3)3Tb and (1)1Tb drives, and I have a spare 3Tb which is the one I was going to finally add, replacing the last existing 1Tb drive. Total single volume is a 6.3Tb volume at 53% capacity. What is the safest path of least resistance for moving to the DS918+ and adopting Btrfs in that case? Obviously I was not wanting to (at this point) purchase any additional drives.

Squozen
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Squozen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 am

Here's how I'd do it -

* Put the 3TB drive in the new NAS, install DSM and set up a shared folder
* Move as much as will fit from the old NAS to the new one
* Move whatever is left to your computer's hard drive (it should only be a few hundred gigabytes, hopefully you have enough space
* Destroy the old volume on the original NAS, put the 3TB drives in the new NAS and expand the storage pool and volume
* Move data from your computer to the new NAS

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”