Diskstation DS411j - Unit never fully boots up - power light flashing

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
digdug
I'm New!
I'm New!

Diskstation DS411j - Unit never fully boots up - power light flashing

Unread post by digdug » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Hi everyone. I've had this unit for a few years and have had zero issues with it until today. It's got 4 hard drives currently loaded in it, with a mix of Seagate and WD 3TB drives. I'm using the Synology default array of having one drive be a backup, if that info matters for my issue. I store a lot of photos, music, videos, etc. This morning I went to access the drive from the folder structure on my PC and couldn't get it to come up. Then I opened the Synology Assistant tool and attempted to "search" for the drive, but it couldn't be found. Then finally I tried to log in directly from a browser window, using the IP address, but that failed to load. I checked the unit itself and it was powered on. LAN indicator was blinking green, status was solid green, HDD 1 thru 3 indicators were solid green and HDD 4 was blinking green. Other than that the unit seemed a tad louder than usual, like a fan was working a bit harder inside.

From there I tried to power it off by using the power button. It seemed unresponsive until finally the power indicator started flashing, however it continued to flash for several minutes without ever turning off. With it not responding to trying to log in to it nor using the power button I finally decided I had no other choice but to pull the plug from the back. I let it sit for a few additional minutes before reconnecting the power plug, and then finally tried the power button to turn it on. During startup it seemed everything was going to be OK - the power light started flashing and the LAN light is showing activity. I could hear what sounded like 3 individual drives kick on and spool up a few moments after turning it on. Now it sits in that same condition though - power light and LAN lights flashing, I can hear the hum of either the drives and/or fans running, but it won't go any further. I've also tried to log into the unit without any luck.

I wouldn't think there's an issue with any specific drive, but rather the unit itself, because I should still be able to log in to the unit and perform diagnostics on the drives. I'm concerned about the data on the hard drives, and don't want to lose that. Is there anything I can try, like pulling the drives out and trying to boot it up like that? I'm afraid to play with it too much and risk losing the data.

Thanks for any assistance!

german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Diskstation DS411j - Unit never fully boots up - power light flashing

Unread post by german_user » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:37 pm

I believe the blinking power light indicates the unit thinks that it's starting up or shutting down, not ready for service..do you happen to have a spare HD laying around?

If you do- I'd recommend pulling the original drives, label and store them for a minute- then load a new blank drive into the system and try to install clean DSM - that will allow you to check your system hardware without touching your old drives/data-

it's a starting point to rule out chassis hardware failure-

digdug
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by digdug » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:49 pm

german_user wrote:I believe the blinking power light indicates the unit thinks that it's starting up or shutting down, not ready for service..do you happen to have a spare HD laying around?

If you do- I'd recommend pulling the original drives, label and store them for a minute- then load a new blank drive into the system and try to install clean DSM - that will allow you to check your system hardware without touching your old drives/data-

it's a starting point to rule out chassis hardware failure-
Yes, I do have a spare hard drive. I've just pulled all of the old 4 out and replaced with the single spare drive. When you say install a clean DSM, what are you referring to? What is a DSM?

The spare drive is an old 2TB model that was originally in the 411j, but I replaced it with a 3TB model a couple years back. The unit does boot up OK now, and is found using the Synology assistant. And I can connect and login into the unit now, which shows the system health is good. So, it appears the 411j does work OK. But then how do I revert back to my 4 drive setup?

german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Unread post by german_user » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:21 pm

DSM- the Disk Station Manager (OS) of the Synology- has to be installed when setting up the Synology the 1st time (or when blank disks are installed and no previous DSM was there)

Since you were able to boot back in with an existing Synology DSM installed hard drive, I'd say try and get that drive updated to the same DSM release that your system was running before the failure (were you running the latest DSM for your model?) DSM 6?

It's possible you've suffered multiple disk failures/corruption to the point that DSM cant boot from your original drives but that would be rare. Do you know how your original 4 drives were configured, what RAID level or how the volumes were configured?

digdug
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by digdug » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:33 pm

I was still on DSM version 4.0, so with the single, spare drive in I went about updating to the latest version. It was tedious because I couldn't simply update to the latest. It would tell me I had to update incrementally. For instance, I had to go from 4.0 to 4.3 to 5.0, etc etc. After a couple hours of doing this and rebooting several times I was finally up to date. From here I shut down the unit completely and pulled the single drive, replacing it with the 4 drives back in the order they were previously installed. Upon rebooting it the power light did flash for quite a while, as it did before. I was about to give up hope, but it finally went solid indicating it had fully powered up. I did notice that the status indicator was orange and stayed blinking. From there I used the synology assistant to search for the unit. It did find it and showed the status as "migrateable". It gave me the option to "install". It stated that it would write a new DSM to it and migrate data. It gave me the impression this would retain all the data that was on the disks and simply create a new DSM. It went through the steps and rebooted. However, upon rebooting it now is not detected from the synology assistant. I've tried to access the drive from a web browser too, without any luck. I powered down the unit and back on. The power indicator does stop flashing and it fully powers on, but the status indicator is still blinking orange indicating "volume degraded or crashed" or "no volume". This is where things currently sit. I will submit a help ticket to Synology I suppose, as I can't think of what else to try.

As to the way the drives were configured - I'm pretty confident that it was the SHR variation. With four 3TB drives I had a total capacity of roughly 8.5TB. I recall thinking that this configuration would allow for failure of 1 drive, so I felt pretty safe with that. I was under the impression that the unit would let me know if it discovered a HDD issue and begin copying data so that the HDD could be replaced. I also find it hard to believe that I had multiple drive failures at the same time, but I suppose it's possible. All four HDD indicators are currently showing solid green, so the unit is not giving any indication that there are issues - at least from what someone can tell without being able to login to the unit.

Looking ahead - if I can't get this solved then is there a way to get data from the drives or figure out if there are issues with certain HDDs? My assumption is that with them in an array they are not seen by the system as four separate drives, but rather one large drive. So, is it possible to hook these up say through a USB enclosure one at a time and connect to a laptop to literally browse to the drive and drag/drop to recover data? Or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks for the help.

Recusant
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Recusant » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am

Hi, sorry to revive such an old thread - but did you get closure on this?

I appear to have a very similar/same issue - though all 4 of my HDDs are solid green.
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 99#p535699

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”