Q on upgrade from DS1512+ to DS918+

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Kernschatten
I'm New!
I'm New!

Q on upgrade from DS1512+ to DS918+

Unread post by Kernschatten » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Question upfront: Is the best/easiest way to transition from one device to another purchasing more drives?

My current setup is a DS1512+ with 3x 3TB WD Red and 1x 4TB WD Red running SHR-2 with EXT4 formatting. I have never used the 5th bay outside of using it to fix an OS partition issue that happened about a year back.
It originally had 4x 3TBs until one died. My intent was to replace the 3TBs with 4TBs as they grow older.

I would like to upgrade to DS918+ in part for processing power (Plex use). I strongly consider shifting from SHR-2 EXT4 to SHR-2 BTFRS.

I believe that in order for me to effectively do this, I would have to purchase at a minimum 3x 4TB drives and put them into the DS918+. Then, with the DS1512+ running, transfer the data from one to the other. Currently, all data on the DS1512+ could (just barely) fit on one 4TB - based on 3.51TB data (included a Plex database that wouldn't need a transfer) fitting on a 3.64TB useable space 4TB HDD. Then, when the data transfer is complete, I can take the 4TB out of the DS1512+ and put it in the DS918+ filling the 4th and final slot.

I know that if I kept it EXT4, it could be a simple migration of taking HDDs out of one and putting them in the other, but in wanting to take advantage of BTFRS, I'm not able to do something so simple.

Is my thinking correct? Is there an easier way?

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: Q on upgrade from DS1512+ to DS918+

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 am

Considering that you wanna go to BTRFS you will have to setup 918 as a fresh device, transfer the file and then populate with the last 4TB drive, so yes, your plan is solid as well your only option.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Kernschatten
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Kernschatten » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 am

Thank you for being a sounding board, Rusty1281... Too big of a decision for me to make in vacuum.

Now, I decide on caching and if BTFRS is really the route I want to take. The more I search on my own, the more negativity I see about it with suggestion to stick with Ext4.

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Well I can't tell you 2 much on it as well considering that I use BTRFS for about 4mo atm. My older model is EXT4 and 918 is on BTRFS. Considering that I need btrfs for certain apps there was no way around it.

So far I can say 0 problems regarding any operations what so ever. Everything works, all apps/services, OS etc... If you would ask me what do you think what file system is installed on this NAS without looking in storage manager or the apps themselfs, I couldn't say if it was ext4 or btrfs.

Not sure I have helped you or not, but the fact is that if you will need to use certain apps now or in the future that require btrfs best to use it of the bat. There is no way to convert file format at a later date without wiping the volume so think about it.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Kernschatten
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Kernschatten » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:00 am

I don't have an app need for BTFRS, per se, but I did run into a data loss issue where the versioning would have been great.

It's threads like this one that has me questioning the decision:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1370119

There seems to be a lot of dislike of BTFRS due to complete data loss.

However, I don't want to buy the 918+ and find myself in the position of regretting sticking with EXT4 because it's not an easy switch from one to the other.

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”