Standard Noob "How Should I" Question

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
kelgun04
I'm New!
I'm New!

Standard Noob "How Should I" Question

Unread post by kelgun04 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Hello all. I'm taking my first dive into setting up a NAS for family use at home. This is going to be a bit more complex than I originally anticipated, but want to learn something and do it myself instead of hiring it out.

This would be for a family of three to store, share, and backup photos and video mainly. Each has their own computer/tablet and phone to access the system.

I picked up a DS218+ with a pair of 4TB hard drives. I also have access to a 4TB WD MyCloud if I want it. I'm thinking of using the MyCloud as a common drive, with the DS218+ to backup the MyCLoud. I'm thinking about additional cloud service as an offsite backup of my backup.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to best set this up would be appreciated.

KelGun

Rusty1281
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Standard Noob "How Should I" Question

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Don’t wanna kill your plans of the bat but is there any reason that MyCloud is the ‘main’ device in this scenario and not the DS218+? Those 2 can’t compare regarding features and options as well as power.

Having a 218 as a backup is a bit like having a ferrari for running down a few blocks and back instead of using it to its full potential.

Just wann see if there is a valid point to all this.

On the other hand if you wanna use your 218 as a backup destination from a different vendor you will have the option to use it via rsync protocol and thats it. So in short, sure it can work this way.

Regarding cloud destinations there are multiple solutions here, from 3rd party (like Blaze, Onedrive via sync or maybe even amazon services) to Synologys own C2 cloud service for backups.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

kelgun04
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by kelgun04 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 pm

No reason in particular, other than it seemed like the WD would be easier to set up as the main drive with the 218 as the backup. I assume you would go the other route. I knew I asked here for a reason! Any tips on setting it up for a novice?

Rusty1281
Proficient
Proficient

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm

That is correct. Setting up WD will be and is easier considering that it lacks so much that DSM has to offer. That being said there is no cookbook on the initial steps, considering that there are so options, apps and service that you might use and someone else will not.

I would recommend not to install anything that you don't need to save space, and resources. If you will be opening your box towards the internet consider using https access on a modified ports (somenthing else then its default 5000/5001).

Anything else will have to come as a result of your needs. So fire away or search the forum beforehand.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

kelgun04
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by kelgun04 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. Thanks!

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”