Struggling with SHR and Adding New Drives?

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
DoJoeDaner
I'm New!
I'm New!

Struggling with SHR and Adding New Drives?

Postby DoJoeDaner » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 am

I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

I've had two 1TB drives in my Synology since I bought it. They've been setup in SHR (without data protection) I filled the first drive and wanted to have the second one clone the first one. I've now bought two new drives 2TB and I placed one in and manually copied over all the files from the 1TB over to the new drive. I've added the second 2TB drive but I don't know still how to make it clone the first one?

If someone can point me toward a manual or even the simplest explanation of how I can do this?
akahan
Ace
Ace

Re: Struggling with SHR and Adding New Drives?

Postby akahan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:02 am

Why do you want to "clone" the drive, rather than just using data protection (SHR Raid 1), so that the second drive is always maintained as a mirror of the first?
DoJoeDaner
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DoJoeDaner » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 am

akahan wrote:Why do you want to "clone" the drive, rather than just using data protection (SHR Raid 1), so that the second drive is always maintained as a mirror of the first?
I’d like to do that but when selection that option it’s greyed out.
xexebanana
Experienced
Experienced

Postby xexebanana » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 am

You you have 2 1TB setup in SHR? right? SHR is synology way of saying RAID1. So your volume is already setup with 1 fault tolerande drive. They are already clone. I dont know how many bays your NAS has, but if you are using 2 bays, you can only expand the size of your volume, if you replace both drives, ONE AT A TIME.

Follow this wiki https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... place_disk

Short version:
1. Have backups
2. Remember step 1
3. Shutdown NAS
4. Replace ONLY 1 of the harddisk, and remeber the position of the replaced disk (1,2.....)
5. Turn on NAS
6. Login to the NAS and go to Storage Manager, you will see that the volume is DEGRADATED, click on manage and choose Repair
7. Remeber the disk position in step 4. , and choose that disk
8. Wait a long time so that the NAS syncs the RAID array
9. Keep your fingers crossed and remember step 1. in case some thing goes wrong.
10. If everyting ends OK, then do the same to the other drive

Are you sure you have de drives at the moment setup in SHR? This only applies if it is in SHR, witch means they are already cloned
DS211j & DS215j
Squozen
Navigator
Navigator

Postby Squozen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:12 am

The OP specifically said they had no data protection, so I'd be assuming they're two entirely separate volumes. Deleting the second volume and then managing the first volume and adding a disk should fix the issue.

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”