Recommendations on setting up DS418j please

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
ChristianTee
I'm New!
I'm New!

Recommendations on setting up DS418j please

Unread post by ChristianTee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi and happy 2018 to all!

I'm a first time user of a Synology product; got myself a DS418j with 4 x 4 TB Seagate Ironwolfs. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When I set everything up according to the instructions and screen prompts DSM was installed (and updated) and went on to set everything up as an SHR with 1 volume of almost 11 TB. I note that there are no Disk Groups, nor will Storage Manager allow me to create any. That's OK but I'm wondering if that is the optimal setup for my needs. I haven't moved any data to the 418j yet.

My specifics:
- 2 PC's (1 Mac and 1 Win 10)
- The Win 10 PC is my wife's professional machine for her CPA practice with client tax and accounting files along with the usual plethora of Word and Excel files.
- My Mac is largely used for my photography hobby (at the moment I'm using a separate 3 TB external drive to store all Lightroom and Photoshop images. (No, I do not need Photo Station).
- Nothing is to be shared between the two PC's, as a matter of fact I prefer to keep her data as separate from mine as possible (thinking ransomware here; wife's PC got hit last year).

I've tried to keep my questions short and to the point:
- Should I stay with the current 1 volume setup? Would it be preferable (safer) to have 2 disk groups or 2 volumes?
- Should I mirror or backup the PC's ...or both (i.e. mirror data and backup the systems)? I guess it would be neat to mirror data files on the fly; I use OneDrive for Business professionally and it seems Cloud Station Drive works more or less the same way.

Any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.
Many thanks,
ChristanTee
Regards,
ChristianTee

pgotze
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Recommendations on setting up DS418j please

Unread post by pgotze » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:31 pm

Well,

it depends on your demand, why you have NAS and what do you expect.

Generally 1 Volume is OK. More volumes you need for example if you want to split volumes to different disks, but thats not your situation i guess. So 1 SHR volume is absolutely OK.

Its good to change in storage manager / storage pool / configuration - to make volume changes more fast.

Your local PCs you probably would like to backup on regular basis, or make Cloud Sync to continuously sync relevant folders from local PCs to NAS via Synology Drive sync tool.

And finally you should think about versioning. I personally have secondary offsite-backup NAS , where i sent HyperBackup backups to, every niht. This scenario keeps my most critical date safe on different place, with different versions, max 256 versions to past. If you dont neet off-site backup, you should think about versioning at least on your NAS, or in shared folder configuration, or in Drive Admin Console.

Rest is really related to your demands, what servicess do you plan to use. Rule is, run only things you really use, stop the rest and block on firewall all not needed ports.
DS916+(8GB RAM, 3x2TB SHR, 1x1TB single) primary, DS213j(512MB RAM, 1x1 TB single, 1x 500GB single) off-site backup

ChristianTee
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Recommendations on setting up DS418j please

Unread post by ChristianTee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 am

pgotze wrote:Well...

Generally 1 Volume is OK. More volumes you need for example if you want to split volumes to different disks, but thats not your situation i guess. So 1 SHR volume is absolutely OK.

Its good to change in storage manager / storage pool / configuration - to make volume changes more fast.

Thank you for your quick reply pgotze; much appreciated!

I'll stay with 1 volume SHR. I've now got the syncing running and I'll see how well that runs.

The only thing I cannot find is the "storage manager / storage pool / configuration - to make volume changes more fast" that you mention. I don't see storage pool or a configuration anywhere in storage manager. Maybe its not available in my version.

Now I just have to decide on the preferred backup package for my wife's PC. Based on forum discussions here it would appear a pull backup might be safer.

Thanks again,
Regards,
ChristianTee

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”