Can you use m2 slots for storage on DS918+?

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
maatriks
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can you use m2 slots for storage on DS918+?

Postby maatriks » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 pm

I will be receiving my DS918+ this week, but I have currently 2 512GB mSATA SSD-s available to buy for cheap.

I was wondering if there is a possibility to create a RAID1 storage with these or can they only be used as a cache?

Thanks!
PseudoChris
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Can you use m2 slots for storage on DS918+?

Postby PseudoChris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:05 pm

I know the the M2D17 PCiE adapter is cache-only storage.
And while the 918+ is the first DiskStation with dedicated M.2 slots on the board, I would assume they may still be cache-only by default.

Note for cache setup: If you use 2x m.2 drives you can put the drives in a RAID1/5/6 setup for a read/write cache or RAID0 for read-only cache)

I feel as though it could be possible to create something or work through ssh to mount an m.2 drive as a usable volume/file system since Synology uses software RAID control.

I also wanted to ask if there's a specific reason you'd want to use these for storage as opposed to cache?
M.2 SSD Cache is really meant to speed up commonly accessed files, so it seems as though the common intended purpose would be fulfilled when using M.2 drive(s) for cache.

Either way, I'll be installing an m.2 in my DS918+ in the next week or two so I can come back to confirm the previous assumption that these will be available only for cache.
maatriks
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maatriks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks for the answer.

I thought it would be good to have VM-s store all their data on SSD-s rather than HDD-s. But you might be right, most of their files that are accessed frequently would be cached anyway, so performance might be quite similar between all-SSD storage vs SSD cache and HDD storage.

Synology DSM UI also suggests that these can only be used for cache (no m.2 slots in available HDD/SDD view).

Hacking through SSH might be a way, but I bought Synology because I got tired of maintaining servers myself, so I will not be trying that :D
microkid
Versed
Versed

Postby microkid » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:29 pm

I own a DS918+ and can inform you that the m2 slots are for SSD cache only.
DS918+ | 4 x WD RED 4TB in SHR | 2x250GB SSD | DSM 6.1.3-15152 U6 | VMware ESXi 6.5 via NFS

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”