Replacing my 2bay with 4 bay NAS help please

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
leotzian
Student
Student

Replacing my 2bay with 4 bay NAS help please

Postby leotzian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 am

Hi to all you experts, please a little help I am confused.
I have a DS212j with 2 WD30EZRX 3TB hard drives with SHR with data protection ( mirroring, so I can use only 3TB of space ). running the latest DSM
I have installed a lot of applications like DSaudio, DsVideo, DSfile, Dsphoto Cloudstation etc.
Because it took me ages to sort all those out, and config them I search what is the best way to do the replacement.
I want to buy a DS416Play or a DS916+ ( which of them you suggest as best buy? ) and 2, 3TB same drives like the ones I have in my DS212j working fine about 1 year.
After I copy the data to my new NAS I want to move my 2 old drives to the new one, plus the 2 new drives and config them as SHR ( raid 5 )So I will have 9TB of free space.
What is the best way to do this, I cannot migrate as I had read because I run DSM 6.0.
I had thought to put the 2 new in the new nas, install DSM and config themas SHR morrring, make from the old nas Share folder sync and configuration backup, and after to format the 2 old drives and put them in the new nas, But in this case can I made the RAID5 without loosing my data?
After restoring my backup in my new nas, all the configutations of all the ppas I have in the old must be setup again? ( Because it is toooo much work...
Is there a better solution
Thank you all in advance
dario_zgb
Versed
Versed

Re: Replacing my 2bay with 4 bay NAS help please

Postby dario_zgb » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 pm

I don't see exactly what the issue here is.

Simply migrate the new drives to the new NAS following the knowledge base article:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... _and_later
and then when that is done, add two new drives and expand the SHR volume.

What makes you think that you can not migrate this way?
--
DS416play (4x4TB WD Red, SHR) * DS216se (2x3TB WD Red, RAID 0) *
DS214se (2x2TB WD Red, SHR) * DS115j (2TB WD Blue) * RT2600ac
leotzian
Student
Student

Postby leotzian » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:03 am

dario_zgb wrote:I don't see exactly what the issue here is.

Simply migrate the new drives to the new NAS following the knowledge base article:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... _and_later
and then when that is done, add two new drives and expand the SHR volume.

What makes you think that you can not migrate this way?

Hi my friend thanks for the answer I am confused, I had read the link you had sent me but it is written "How to migrate between Synology NAS (DSM 5.x)" when the DSM is 5.x, and then after it is written
"Note:
Backup & Replication is only available on DSM 5.x. To migrate data between Synology NAS devices running DSM 6.0 or above, please do as follows:
Use Hyper Backup on the source Synology NAS to create a backup task (See here).
Use Hyper Backup Vault on the target Synology NAS to store the backup data (See here)."
As I have written before I have latest DSM 6.0
Are you sure this can be done the way you say?? that is why I am confused..
Thnaks again for the answer.
dario_zgb
Versed
Versed

Postby dario_zgb » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 am

Yes, you can migrate by simply moving the drives over to the new unit:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... d_later#t2
--
dario_zgb
Versed
Versed

Postby dario_zgb » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:21 am

BTW the guide is for DSM 5.x AND LATER.

The only important thing to note is that the destination NAS should be running the newer version of the DSM than the source NAS. This is why the guide suggests using a temporary drive to make sure that the destination NAS is on the latest DSM. However in most cases if the unit is brand new then you can skip this step and directly move the drives over to the new unit.
--
leotzian
Student
Student

Postby leotzian » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:52 pm

dario_zgb wrote:BTW the guide is for DSM 5.x AND LATER.

The only important thing to note is that the destination NAS should be running the newer version of the DSM than the source NAS. This is why the guide suggests using a temporary drive to make sure that the destination NAS is on the latest DSM. However in most cases if the unit is brand new then you can skip this step and directly move the drives over to the new unit.

Hi my friend thank you for all answers you gave me, you know better than me ofcource but in the link you gave me comments

"To migrate data between Synology NAS devices running DSM 6.0 or above, please do as follows:
Use Hyper Backup Vault on the target Synology NAS to store the backup data (See here)."

I will do as you told me so in the knowledge base I am in paragraph "2.2 Migrating between different Synology NAS models"
from DS212j to Ds416Play, so I must install all my apps again?
"However, this method requires reinstalling DSM and all packages on the target Synology NAS, which will result in losing the following data:
Directory Server database
Photo Station/blog content
Auto-block settings
Video info content in Video Station
Mail Server and Mail Station settings
Surveillance Station settings
Download Station tasks and temporary storage
All media files will be re-indexed after migration"
I have note station Cloud sync etc
IS THAT CORREECT?
Thank you again for your efford
dario_zgb
Versed
Versed

Postby dario_zgb » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm

leotzian wrote:Hi my friend thank you for all answers you gave me, you know better than me ofcource but in the link you gave me comments

"To migrate data between Synology NAS devices running DSM 6.0 or above, please do as follows:

You should in any case have an external backup, but when migrating the drives to the new unit, your data should stay safe on the drives. This paragraph talks about migrating the data using Hyper Backup. If you feel safer doing that, then put the 2 new drives in the 416play, create the SHR volume there, use Hyper Backup, Shared Folder Sync or mount the folder in File Station to copy everything over, and later move these two older drives and expand the volume. You will need to reinstall all the apps.

leotzian wrote:I will do as you told me so in the knowledge base I am in paragraph "2.2 Migrating between different Synology NAS models"
from DS212j to Ds416Play, so I must install all my apps again?
"However, this method requires reinstalling DSM and all packages on the target Synology NAS, which will result in losing the following data:
Directory Server database
Photo Station/blog content
Auto-block settings
Video info content in Video Station
Mail Server and Mail Station settings
Surveillance Station settings
Download Station tasks and temporary storage
All media files will be re-indexed after migration"
I have note station Cloud sync etc
IS THAT CORREECT?
Thank you again for your efford

Yes you will need to reinstall the apps (because of several reasons, 212j is ARM-based, the 416play is Intel-based...) but their databases and app data may stay intact (I am not sure about this so as the KB article says, make sure that you note your settings). You are probaby not using any of the above apps on your 212j except for Photo Station so settings will be preserved for others; media will be reindexed but this should not be an issue.

You should also back up the configuration of your old unit.

I am also using Clouud Sync. If it is set up from scratch on the new unit (I've done it several times) and config is exactly the same, it will just run through everything and check everything against the cloud when it is run the first time. So make sure you note the config settings for all your apps (as this is not saved in the exported configuration).

So either you do 1) migration as per the KB article or 2) you set up your new NAS with 2 new drives and copy everything over network first, then expand the volume using 2 old drives.
--
leotzian
Student
Student

Postby leotzian » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:10 am

Thank you for all my friend, I had understood completely.
Thanks for your efford
alucard
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby alucard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Hello Everyone. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've been thinking of doing something similar to what the OP wants to do. I currently have a 215j with two 6TB drives in a SHR. My main difference is I want to get 2 new 8 or 10TB drives to put in the new device (still trying out if I go with 416j, 416slim or new 418j) and create another volume. So at the end of the day I will have one volume with a 6TB SHR and then another volume with a 10TB SHR.

Would that be possible?
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:43 am

alucard wrote:Would that be possible?

Yes, no problem.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”