How to make my 4-bay NAS as quiet as possible

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
dario_zgb
Versed
Versed

Re: How to make my 4-bay NAS as quiet as possible

Postby dario_zgb » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:14 pm

knyckis wrote:I use SHR, and while I figure that logically since I have one 4TB disk and the rest are 4TB together, I should be able to pull all three of them all out since everything must be on the 4TB drive.

This is not how RAID works. If you have all these drives configured as a single SHR volume then be careful and listen to what Rusty says - you will crash the volume and lose all the data by pulling out three drives at once if this is a single SHR volume.
--
DS416play (4x4TB WD Red, SHR) * DS216se (2x3TB WD Red, RAID 0) *
DS214se (2x2TB WD Red, SHR) * DS115j (2TB WD Blue) * RT2600ac
knyckis
Trainee
Trainee

Postby knyckis » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 pm

dario_zgb wrote:
knyckis wrote:I use SHR, and while I figure that logically since I have one 4TB disk and the rest are 4TB together, I should be able to pull all three of them all out since everything must be on the 4TB drive.

This is not how RAID works. If you have all these drives configured as a single SHR volume then be careful and listen to what Rusty says - you will crash the volume and lose all the data by pulling out three drives at once if this is a single SHR volume.

Well, I do continue:

"... on the 4TB drive. Still, I know too little about how SHR functions, so I will only do one drive at the time, since I know the system can handle that."

SO you are saying that I should stick to that strategy.
mervincm
Versed
Versed

Postby mervincm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks, applying pressure to the top of the NAS turned out to be very helpful! I stacked a pile of my heaviest books on it, and while It is still louder than I hoped for, it is definitely less noise than before.
>Yes, more mass is often helpful

And are you saying that Blu Tack on the feet may reduce the noise as well?
>Yes, could help a lot. depending on the surface that its sitting on.

Upping the fan speed really seems like a last resort, but since the fan definitely does not disturb me it might be something to try. But would that not make the NAS go into a more demanding state overall, potentially upping the noise from the HDDs?

>this suggestion is not fluff, acceptable sounds to mask objectionable sounds is a widely used strategy. There is no danger of a "more demanding state" or chance of "upping noise from the HDDs" turning up the fans merely means that they will see their source power a higher % of the time and that will cause them to spin faster, increasing their cooling and with a side effect of creating more fan noise.

EDIT: I found this about applying velcro to the disc slide: https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comme ... _solution/
Seems like something like this is what your are suggesting.

>Yes something like that. a barrier between the two hard surfaces that are now oscillating against each other.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED
coop777
Novice
Novice

Postby coop777 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Certain units do seem louder and I think Synology is aware of this - I had a DS1815+ running HGST deskstars @7200 RPM. Noticed quite a bit of vibrational noise. I used a combination of felt pads and plastic bumpers in the drive trays to help quiet the drives, this helps but what I noticed most was when my unit died under warranty that the replacement NAS was noticeably quieter. Now I rarely hear the drives spinning at all.
knyckis
Trainee
Trainee

Postby knyckis » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Happy news! Guided by your advice, good folk, my detective work started with pulling out the 4TB drive, and it instantly went almost totally quiet! The HGST drive was indeed the culprit. I went back to the store and now I have a 4TB WD Red in there, making virtually no sound whatsoever. Lovely!

Thanks all, now I can totally enjoy my new DS216play without fear of starting a clicking contest in my living room!

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”