Using the PCI-Express M.2 SATA SSD as a secondary volume?

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
hector_x69
Trainee
Trainee

Using the PCI-Express M.2 SATA SSD as a secondary volume?

Postby hector_x69 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Hello there. I have a DS1817+ and I was wondering if I could use the PCI-Express to dual M.2 SATA SSDs as a secondary volume with two M.2 SATA SSDs in RAID 1 instead of cache. Reason I ask this is because one could use this SSD storage for Virtual Machine Manager and not use the mechanical drives on the bays for that. This would greatly improve VMs performance without impacting the HDD disk pack with random I/O from the VM. I don't have the adapter yet so I cannot test it. Anyone here has it and can share if it's doable?
hector_x69
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Using the PCI-Express M.2 SATA SSD as a secondary volume?

Postby hector_x69 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Bumping because I would really like to know if this is possible.

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”