Moving Between NAS drives

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) On 12/25, Synology Forums will be getting a new layout. During this time, content will still be accessible but you will be unable to make new threads and posts.

2) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

3) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
StewartGilray
I'm New!
I'm New!

Moving Between NAS drives

Postby StewartGilray » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi all,
So I currently have a DS216+ and am looking to get a DS416play... Will I be able to move the drives from the 216 straight into the 416? or will I need new drives for the 416 and then move everything by hand?

Thanks.

Stewart
akahan
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Moving Between NAS drives

Postby akahan » Fri May 19, 2017 4:52 pm

You physically move the drives.
Just make sure that you have updated the DSM operating system on the source machine to the very latest version before doing so (so it will match what you download and install on the new machine), and you put the drives in the new machine in the same order as the old machine (that is, drive 1 is drive 1, drive 2 is drive 2, etc.)
StewartGilray
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby StewartGilray » Fri May 19, 2017 5:19 pm

So, with the DS214+ (I wrote DS216+ by accident, it's actually a DS214+) being a 2 bay and the 416 a 4 bay, will I have to put 4 drives in straight away to the 416? or will it run with 2 in the initial?

thanks in advance.

Stew
akahan
Skilled
Skilled

Postby akahan » Fri May 19, 2017 5:24 pm

2 drives initially, expand once it's up and running.
StewartGilray
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby StewartGilray » Fri May 19, 2017 5:25 pm

akahan wrote:2 drives initially, expand once it's up and running.

Awesome, many thanks :)

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”