Migration fron 2 bay to 4 bay NAS

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Tobal
I'm New!
I'm New!

Migration fron 2 bay to 4 bay NAS

Postby Tobal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi,
I have a Syno DS212J since 2012, currently it is running with two HDD, one of 2 TB and one of 4 TB, no redundancy at all in my configuration. Until now a I'm using two external HDD (2 and 4 TB also) to back up from time to time the data.
Today I am thinking to buy a DS416 play, but I have a doubt about RAID configuration.

I want to migrate the current 2 HDD in use on the DS212J to the new DS416 Play using the migration tool, but my doubt is if is it possible to use my two external HDD (2 and 4 TB respectivly) in a new SHR volume in conjunction with the migrated 4 TB HDD.
The other migrated HDD (2 TB) will remain as a basic volume with no redundancy.
I know that is possible to change to Raid5 configuration, but due to the diffrerent sizes of the three HDD that I have I will not get the extra space that produce the SHR configuration.
is it possible to achive my objective?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my poor english.

Cheers,
CSL
dario_zgb
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Migration fron 2 bay to 4 bay NAS

Postby dario_zgb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 am

Tobal wrote:I want to migrate the current 2 HDD in use on the DS212J to the new DS416 Play using the migration tool, but my doubt is if is it possible to use my two external HDD (2 and 4 TB respectivly) in a new SHR volume in conjunction with the migrated 4 TB HDD.

External drives cannot be a part of a volume, if this is what you meant.

Tobal wrote:I know that is possible to change to Raid5 configuration, but due to the diffrerent sizes of the three HDD that I have I will not get the extra space that produce the SHR configuration.

If your current drives are configured as two separate volumes in the current NAS, as it seems from your post, you will have to back up your data and start from scratch if you wish to use any kind of RAID or SHR on the new NAS. You didn't say what's your current configuration, i.e. are they separate volumes etc.

Configuring 4+2+2 TB drives as SHR does not make much sense because you will lose 2 TB of space; however adding one more 4 TB drive would get you 8 TB of total space with 1-drive redundancy. You can play around a bit with: https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator
--
DS416play (4x4TB WD Red, SHR) * DS216se (2x3TB WD Red, RAID 0) *
DS214se (2x2 TB WD Red, SHR) * DS115j (2TB WD Blue) * RT2600ac
Tobal
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tobal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 pm

dario_zgb wrote:
Tobal wrote:I want to migrate the current 2 HDD in use on the DS212J to the new DS416 Play using the migration tool, but my doubt is if is it possible to use my two external HDD (2 and 4 TB respectivly) in a new SHR volume in conjunction with the migrated 4 TB HDD.

External drives cannot be a part of a volume, if this is what you meant.

No, the two external drive are currently in use as external back up (2 and 4 TB each). The two internals HDD are two different volumes with no redundancy.

Tobal wrote:I know that is possible to change to Raid5 configuration, but due to the diffrerent sizes of the three HDD that I have I will not get the extra space that produce the SHR configuration.

If your current drives are configured as two separate volumes in the current NAS, as it seems from your post, you will have to back up your data and start from scratch if you wish to use any kind of RAID or SHR on the new NAS. You didn't say what's your current configuration, i.e. are they separate volumes etc.

Configuring 4+2+2 TB drives as SHR does not make much sense because you will lose 2 TB of space; however adding one more 4 TB drive would get you 8 TB of total space with 1-drive redundancy. You can play around a bit with: https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

Two HDD (2 and 4 TB) in separates volumes.
According to Synology web it is possible to change one volume from Basic to Raid 1 or 5. My doubt is if is it possible to change from basic to SHR, because I want to use my current external HDD as internlas in the new DS416 Play.
Then the new configuratios will be:
-One 2 TB HDD as a basic volume (no redundancy).
- Three HDD (two of 4 TB and one of 2 TB) in a single SHR volume. Raid 5 is not a good option because I do not get the extra space that the SHR give. I can not erase one of the 4 TB HDD, the other two can be totally delete.

Is there a way to do this witout any extra HDD?
Thanks
drabisan
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby drabisan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Tobal wrote:Is there a way to do this witout any extra HDD?
Thanks

It all depends how much data do you have/want to preserve.
There's a decent SHR config you can build from 2x2T and 2x4T. But that ONLY if you have no more than 3.5T you want to preserve. If this case you can start by puting a 2T and a 4T and build an SHR with 2T available space, move all data from USB 2T drive in the new volume, than add the 2T drive, rebuild and copy no more than 1.5-1.6T from the USB 4T drive to the volume. And after that you can add the 4T drive to the volume and expand.
If you have more than ~3.5T worth of data, than you'll need another drive, temporarily, to move your data on it.
Tobal
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tobal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:17 pm

drabisan wrote:
Tobal wrote:Is there a way to do this witout any extra HDD?
Thanks

It all depends how much data do you have/want to preserve.
There's a decent SHR config you can build from 2x2T and 2x4T. But that ONLY if you have no more than 3.5T you want to preserve. If this case you can start by puting a 2T and a 4T and build an SHR with 2T available space, move all data from USB 2T drive in the new volume, than add the 2T drive, rebuild and copy no more than 1.5-1.6T from the USB 4T drive to the volume. And after that you can add the 4T drive to the volume and expand.
If you have more than ~3.5T worth of data, than you'll need another drive, temporarily, to move your data on it.

Thanks!

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”