Mickysoft Office 16 and later can't lock files on AFP

Questions regarding Mac OS X Specifically can be placed here, such as questions regarding TimeMachine, for example.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Herrjedermann
Experienced
Experienced

Mickysoft Office 16 and later can't lock files on AFP

Unread post by Herrjedermann » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:24 am

G'day.
Does anyone have a useful workaround for Office 16 and later not being able to lock files when opening them? Office 11 manages to do that on the same shares but later Office packages are unable to lock files leading to multiple users opening the same file without any warning and then of course, the last who safes wins...

Pages, for example, prevents the user from overwriting a file. It also does not warn when opening, but at least, it prevents from simply overwriting.

At the moment, switching to SMB is no real option. This is planned for later but speed issue is so serious when working with many users who move around many little files that we have to stick with AFP at the moment. Support isn't helping in any way so I am reaching out to see if anyone knows a workaround.

We once managed to fix the problem on macOS AFP by making .TemporaryItems folder unwritable, but that does not seem to do the trick on "Syno AFP".

Anyone?

TIA

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Mickysoft Office 16 and later can't lock files on AFP

Unread post by Squozen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Hang on, isn't the point of Office 2016 that multiple users can now edit files simultaneously?

On the Windows version you can turn that off within the applications and it will revert to locking files on shared drives.

Herrjedermann
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Herrjedermann » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 pm

I doubt this is intended behavior... if two people open the same file, they can write independently into the document and the other one does not notice that. The one that saves last wins and finds his changes in the document, the former just lost their data...

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Squozen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:47 pm

It is absolutely intended behaviour.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/19/mic ... 6-for-mac/

mestopheles
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mestopheles » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 am

This is a different behaviour. In order to collaborate, you have to explicitely share the Document, see https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... n-US&ad=US

What we are observing is that no lock is set on the synology afp-server when one user opens the document. someone else opens the document aswell and there is no sign about the fact, that one file is being edited by two users - not in collaboration mode. Its not collaborative, but the file is being edited by two instances and it won't turn out good at the end. The one saving last "wins". Which is really an important error.

I know afp is deprecated. i compare the situation to an MacOS Server using afp - the lock with office 2016 works smooth. So it must be a synology thing / netatalk-issue.
For us its obstructive to work - aka high important.

Any solution around?

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Squozen » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Log a support ticket with Synology. Best to have the bug fixed rather than work around it.

Splurzgalonk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Splurzgalonk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Well, the ticket has been filed long time ago. Even multiple times. But there is no real support in that matter as far as I see. So a workaround would still be better than nothing. Swtching to SMB calls for a different set of problems, so that trade is no good for us at the moment.

Return to “Mac OS X”