Spotlight support- is it coming or not?

Questions regarding Mac OS X Specifically can be placed here, such as questions regarding TimeMachine, for example.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
iansilv
Beginner
Beginner

Spotlight support- is it coming or not?

Unread post by iansilv » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:06 am

I am interested in purchasing an 8 bay sinology has for my office, but I need spotlight indexing to work. I have read that it is not supported. Does anyone know if Sinology is planning on adding proper spotlight indexing support?
Thank you.

iansilv
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Spotlight support- is it coming or not?

Unread post by iansilv » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:59 am

Does anyone know anything about spotlight support?

iansilv
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by iansilv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:23 am

Yeah I've read that and about a dozen other similar threads. However, there is some serious inconsistency in performance and indexing that makes the terminal enabling not work. If someone could chime in with an example of it working for them- multiple macs connected on a lan using the synology as a file server with spotlight properly working I would appreciate it.

CancelThat
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by CancelThat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:10 pm

I've got a DS1815+ with 16 iMacs (10.10.4) all working off of shared folders (via SMB connection) on the DS. I enabled Spotlight Indexing on all of them using the Terminal commands shown in the StackExchange article posted earlier in the thread.

Here's my findings so far (1 month with Spotlight turned on):
- Indexing took anywhere from 1-2 days for each machine to complete. Of course they were all indexing at nearly the same time (staggered of course to not completely slam the DS)
- Once indexed, OS X tags/labels are searchable along with all the other searchable items Spotlight can look for on local drives
- SMB 3 is turned on

Stats of the Setup
- DS1815+ with 8GB (custom installed)
- 4 3TB WD Red in a RAID 10 (Volume 1)
- 1 6TB WD Red the RAID 10 backs up to (Volume 2)
- 2 128GB Samsung SSDs for Read & Write Cache drives (turned off for now, didn't see any I/O increases)
- 1 3TB WD Purple (Volume 3) for 1 security camera yet to be installed
- 16 iMacs from 2007-2011 all with Gigabit Ethernet and at least 16GB RAM
- Shares contain files the workstations actually work off of
- Total SMB share is close to 2 TB

The entire thing is almost exactly what I had hoped for, but the slow directory (FIXED! See below) listings in the Finder are super annoying for me and the users. It can take anywhere from 20-30 seconds to populate a directory, even if it only has one 3MB PDF or 300 JPGs.

Anyway, hope that helps iansilv.

EDIT: The solution to the slow directory listings, even with Spotlight Indexing turned on, is to disable .DS_Store file creation by all your users when connecting to mounts on the NAS. Once I completed running the following terminal command for each user, our directory tree listing is crazy fast.

- Run in Terminal for every user that connects to the NAS (Note: this must be done for each user on the Mac if you have multiple users on the same machine.):

Code: Select all

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
- Reboot
- Rejoice in fast NAS directory listings on Macs
- Bonus: SSH into your Synology and run the following to find and delete all the .DS_Store files on your Synology:

Code: Select all

find / -name .DS_Store -delete

Valery_Kondakoff
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Valery_Kondakoff » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:39 pm

Hello!

Please, help me understand - what is wrong. I enabled indexing on a shared folder, waited until Spotlight indexing is complete, but there are still no results in Spotlight search. I was trying to connect to DS with both afp and smb (while reenabling indexing), but no success... :( (OS X 10.11, DS213+)

Here is a screenshot with Terminal, Finder, Spotlight properties and Spotlight search: https://goo.gl/x1MvGT

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
CU
VK

alexgodlex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by alexgodlex » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:56 am

Works for me, easy and i'm not a terminal minded person ;)

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... ork-drives

leits10
I'm New!
I'm New!

Slow Mac Nas connection

Unread post by leits10 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:34 am

Thank you CancelThat.

I have been trying to stream music and it kept buffering and locking up. "defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true"
worked perfectly. I have been streaming Hi res music without a problem. I have tried everything for a week and finally connected and old PC to use as a music server. I could not figure out how to SSH into the NAS to delete the .DS files. How do you access its command lines.

Thanks,
Dave

syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Unread post by syno.dustin » Wed May 18, 2016 5:23 pm

Valery_Kondakoff wrote:Hello!

Please, help me understand - what is wrong. I enabled indexing on a shared folder, waited until Spotlight indexing is complete, but there are still no results in Spotlight search. I was trying to connect to DS with both afp and smb (while reenabling indexing), but no success... :( (OS X 10.11, DS213+)

Here is a screenshot with Terminal, Finder, Spotlight properties and Spotlight search: https://goo.gl/x1MvGT

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
You search in Finder and not in Spotlight once you enabling Indexing in DSM6.0. The wording of the feature was changed sometime during beta 1 to reflect that.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.

Briolet
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Briolet » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:01 pm

CancelThat wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:10 pm
- Run in Terminal for every user that connects to the NAS (Note: this must be done for each user on the Mac if you have multiple users on the same machine.):
By now, the nas has proper spotlight indexing. It is the nas that makes the index end not every mac by itself.

I even noticed that the spotlight index works better than the Universal Search index.

When you have a sentence like "The big, blue fox.", Universal search will not find "big" or "fox". You have to search for "big," and "fox." (You have to include the period or the komma, what sounds like a bug to me in version 1.2.7-0243).

Spotlight will ignore the period or the komma. Spotlight also finds files if you type in the first half of a word.

Return to “Mac OS X”