MacOS Finder Search Alias not working

Questions regarding Mac OS X Specifically can be placed here, such as questions regarding TimeMachine, for example.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
AustinBike
Novice
Novice

MacOS Finder Search Alias not working

Unread post by AustinBike » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 pm

I have a Synology DS-716+ with the latest DSM installed.

I can use finder to browse files and I can open any of them. No problem whatsoever.

But, if I use the search bar in finder to search on the NAS, when I try to open any final listed in the results will give me this message:

The alias “<filename>” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

Any of the files open fine but if it is in the search results, it cannot be opened. I recently had a volume crash and had to rebuild the NAS, but after that I was not having problems. This seems to have happened from one of the most recent updates. This is happening in multiple shares, with multiple file types.

AustinBike
Novice
Novice

Re: MacOS Finder Search Alias not working

Unread post by AustinBike » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:52 am

I reindexed the NAS and it seems to be working now.

zzk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by zzk » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Just registered to say:

Thanks, that did the trick.

Going a bit longer..
Go to Universal Search, add folders to be indexed (if none was added before) and let it work.

To re-index, in the Universal Search Settings, choose Indexed Folder List, choose a folder and click Re-Index

It's actually written in the Settings for Universal Search that:

"When you enable smb or afp services at File Services and mount indexed folders to a mac computer, you can use finder to search their contained files by file name and content."

I just wished there was a big yellow card in the box saying that.

Cheers

Nightowl4933
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Nightowl4933 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:08 pm

VERY new to Synology and NAS products in general, but have I got this wrong, please...

I think my iMac is the centre of my computing world, but I get the impression it should be the NAS Desktop.

I am having several issues with some quite minor things, but I was rather hoping the NAS would be an 'add on', and Search is one of those irritations.

I would like to be able to use Finder search or the Toolbar search options to look for files on either my iMac or my NAS, and would like to know if this is possible. It seems from your comments here that it should be, but would someone please tell me how - in very simple terms?

Thank you :-)

Looser with bigMAC
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Looser with bigMAC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:00 am

Have had a similar issue; my problem was the Chumsearch.
https://macsecurity.net/view/114-remove ... n-mac-os-x
There are too many counterparts as well, they block the searches as hell :evil:

Return to “Mac OS X”