Change "music" folder

Questions/comments regarding the Audio Station can be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Grendizer
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Change "music" folder

Unread post by Grendizer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks. So I have to keep these 3 folders. Nevermind, I added my own "Public" folder with its music, pics and videos subfolder, and I used the method described at the beginning of this thread to make my files go in my folder structure. As the method has changed a bit, I updated it, here it is:

¤ Links : https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=18976 , http://blogmotion.fr/systeme/dlna-synol ... ommer-6883 , https://superuser.com/questions/1057853 ... with-admin
¤ Here is the procedure. Credits to the net and blog authors, i just compiled the info from different blogs.
¤ In NAS DSM control pannel > You have to enable ssh login.
¤ Then you can use putty to connect to your device. Install Putty, launch Putty (not the other utilities), and enter the name of the NAS then ENTER.
¤ Enter your admin username , not "root"
¤ Enter password [your admin password]
¤ Type sudo -I then enter
¤ Enter password [your admin password]
¤ navigate to the etc folder. Commands are the same as in DOS!
¤ enter the Vi editor whilst opening a file for editing : vi /etc/rc.local
¤ vi editor is real painful editor
¤ press I to edit
¤ You will enter this kind of syntax : mount --bind /volume1/[Your desired folder path] /volume1/[Pre exisiting folder name]
¤ here are some examples:
mount --bind /volume1/Public/Music /volume1/music
mount --bind /volume1/Public/Pictures /volume1/photo
mount --bind /volume1/Public/Videos /volume1/video
¤ press escape
¤ Save and exit the file by typing :wq!
¤ while you have still your putty session open type reboot and hit Enter.
¤ After the NAS has restarted, check out the indexing process. Pause the conversion process untill indexing is done. Then release the pause.
¤ Check if the Synology app for viewing this type of media (AudioStation , Video Station or Photo Station) can see the content of your own folder structure.

Ok I hope it will be useful to others.
One question remain : in DSM > control panel > indexing service > indexed folder > should I put the pre-existing 3 folders, or my own structure's 3 folders?
So far I have put the pre-existing ones and it works, but I'd like to have other users' opinions. :P

sincarne
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by sincarne » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:33 pm

y do this? u can index whatever folder you want as music folder
photo folder only one that strict and photo station make u use

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Grendizer wrote:So far I have put the pre-existing ones and it works, but I'd like to have other users' opinions.
As far as I can remember with this superfluous setup you need to start indexing manualy each time you add/remove files, the ywont be recognized automaticcally.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

rcd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rcd » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:49 pm

HarryPotter wrote:search for "mount --bind" or for symlinks. It has been asked and discussed several times.
I really hate this kind of moderator reply. I searched Google and this thread came up useless. Would it have hurt you to put a link in?

Return to “Audio Station”