Adding User's Folders to Indexing in Audiostation

Questions/comments regarding the Audio Station can be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Cryoman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Adding User's Folders to Indexing in Audiostation

Postby Cryoman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm just setting up my DS116 and I've hit a snag early on in the process. The main use of this device will be to access my music when I am travelling using DS Audio on my Android tablet.
So, the story so far is that I have set up an admin account and a user account in my name.
I am in the process of setting up music folders to sync to the NAS and I have created folders under my account which appears in File Explorer under Network>DS216>Homes>My Account>Cloudstation>
The folders I have set up under this path are basically the way I have organised the folders on my PC, which would be (for instance) "Dance Compilations", or "Rock Albums A-B", these folders then have the individual albums each in their own folder.
Now. The KB tells me that in order to use DA Audio to listen to that music remotely the albums have to be indexed by Audio Station and it tells me you can store albums outside of the default "music" folder but you have to ensure those folders are added to the indexing service, since the service only looks in the music folder my default.
I'm fine with that so far but when I go into the Indexing Service>Media Indexing in DSM control Panel there looks to be a button marked "Indexed Folder" and when the dialog box opens there is an option to "Create" but no way to navigate to the folders I created under myself as user.
When I created my account I gave it full priviledges, same as admin.
Help! This is potentially a showstopper for me so I'd really appreciate any guidance you guys could offer.
sjeph8je
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Adding User's Folders to Indexing in Audiostation

Postby sjeph8je » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi,

It is true that homes share is not selectable. If you want each user to have an own library folder, you can enable the personal library option in audiostation. This will use the home/music folder and indexes it automatically.

Perhaps not equal to your setup but with minimal changes it could work for you.
DS-218+ | DSM 6.1.5-15254 | 1 x WD20EFRX (Basic-btrfs) (Hyper backup vault, DS)
DS-916+ | DSM 6.1.5-15254 | 2 x WD40EFRX (RAID1-btrfs) | 2 x WD10EFRX (RAID1-btrfs) (AS, Calendar, Chat, CMS, Docker, Hyper backup, PS, Snapshot Replication, SVN, VS, WS, Webdav)
  • Startech S3510SMU33 | WD20EFRX (ext-4)
DS-213J | DSM 6.2-23511 | 1 x WD20EFRX (Basic-ext4) (Hyper backup vault)

Corruption wears infinite disguises.
Cryoman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Cryoman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks for the speedy response, I realy appreciate you taking the time to assist.
I guess the way forward is as you say, just using the default music folder. Chances are that I will be the only user for this particular data, so its no biggie really. I just wanted to understand how it all hangs together as I only got the DS116 yesterday.
However...if I could impose just a bit more...
I will now need to resync to a different location (music) on the NAS. But how do I "unsync" the stuff that I syncd to the wrong location? I can't see an option to unlink the PC folders with those on the NAS.
It is set up for two way sync so I can't just delete the files because I assume that will delete them all on the pc
Presumably deleting the user I created (and now probably don't need) will also drag those local PC files down the tubes with it.
sjeph8je
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby sjeph8je » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Just to be clear:
* enabling the option in audiostation will generate a separate music folder in the home directory of all users, this can be used for personal music files.
* The music share is for music files accessible for all users

Afaik re-indexing of media will recreate the music database, so old information is deleted. If the syncing you want to do relates to cloudstation I can't help you because I don't use it.
DS-218+ | DSM 6.1.5-15254 | 1 x WD20EFRX (Basic-btrfs) (Hyper backup vault, DS)
DS-916+ | DSM 6.1.5-15254 | 2 x WD40EFRX (RAID1-btrfs) | 2 x WD10EFRX (RAID1-btrfs) (AS, Calendar, Chat, CMS, Docker, Hyper backup, PS, Snapshot Replication, SVN, VS, WS, Webdav)
  • Startech S3510SMU33 | WD20EFRX (ext-4)
DS-213J | DSM 6.2-23511 | 1 x WD20EFRX (Basic-ext4) (Hyper backup vault)

Corruption wears infinite disguises.
IXLUK
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby IXLUK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Hello,

If I may, can I add to this thread about this very question....

I have a 213j. I have just changed drives in it, from 2 x 1TB to a 1 x 4TB and 1 x 1TB ( with a view to getting another 4tb later for redundancy ). So basically i've taken the 2nd 1tb drive out as it had failed. I have a backup on usb onto a 2tb drive.

In short I have had to do a bit of copying over etc which is all fine onto the new 4tb HD. However, I have only just noticed the Music Station works differently to the Video Station, in that you can elect different drives and folders to your video. I cannot see the same functionality to this on the Audio station.

My question is, as I currently have two drives, if I copy music to the default Music folder, where will this data reside? I intend to pull the 1tb from the synology in the near future, but its not clear where this location is based on. I am assuming its on the 1TB.....as that was the drive the system started with in the 1st slot. The new 4TB is in the 2nd bay slot atm.

Any help/advise is appreciated.

Thanks
sjeph8je
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby sjeph8je » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi,
The volume the music share resides on is listed in control panel=>shared folder, here you also can change its location (move it to another volume)
IXLUK
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby IXLUK » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks, your help was great and I would of spent ages looking for that.

Cheers. :)

Return to “Audio Station”