"There is no shared folder available" message + a torrent of "A bad sector was foundon disk[1]" notifications

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
nassar
I'm New!
I'm New!

"There is no shared folder available" message + a torrent of "A bad sector was foundon disk[1]" notifications

Postby nassar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi everyone, DS116 user here.

I believe what I'm describing here are only symptoms, and not the problem itself. It goes as follows:

Starting point: I transferred some files from an old hard drive onto my NAS. It so happens these files were on what used to be the boot drive for an OS X machine, which "died". The file system was still readable after extraction of the drive, so I thought it was smart to save files of importance.

Consequences:
  • Multiple grouped "Bad sector was found on disk[1]." messages every time I try to open File Station on the web interface (using Chrome 60)
  • When I open the File Station, I get an error saying "There is no shared folder available" (this despite that I have several setup and enabled.
  • I started running an extended S.M.A.R.T. test, and 24h in it seems stuck at 90%. I don't know how to interpret this information.

Remarks:
  • I'm connected to my NAS via smb from my mac (Late 2016 13" MBP), and all of my folders show up and are navigable without any issue
  • All my other apps (Video Station, DS audio, etc.) are available and function perfectly fine

Has anyone run into this? I really can't make heads nor tails of it. I don't think the drive itself is damaged. It just seems like my File Station is completely out of whack since I uploaded those files (which I've since deleted).

Any help would be appreciated!

TIA,
-nassar
nukemaster
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: "There is no shared folder available" message + a torrent of "A bad sector was foundon disk[1]" notifications

Postby nukemaster » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:16 pm

Can you see the current S.M.A.R.T. Info on the disks? This is section you run the tests from.

Any Reallocated or pending sectors?
nassar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: "There is no shared folder available" message + a torrent of "A bad sector was foundon disk[1]" notifications

Postby nassar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:44 pm

It's funny, I reinstalled DSM, and was able to run the SMART tests without any issues, returning 7 bad sectors but able to at least complete to 100%.

Now, a few days afrter re-installing, I'm back to getting the persistent bad sector errors. The number of reallocated sectors is 12 according to the tests, and the number of pending sectors is 3.

The extended SMART test is currently stuck at 90% again.

Return to “File Station”