Transferring folders not files?

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mickthelamb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Transferring folders not files?

Postby mickthelamb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:04 pm

It seems such a labour intensive job to have to name a folder in File Manager and then transfer the files over into it. I've hundreds of music and photo folders I want to transfer.
Surely there's a way around this? Help anyone?
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Transferring folders not files?

Postby HarryPotter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:42 pm

Dont use File Station to upload a bunch of data. Copy it via SMB or FTP.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
mickthelamb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mickthelamb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 pm

HarryPotter wrote:Dont use File Station to upload a bunch of data. Copy it via SMB or FTP.

You've lost me on what SMB or FTP is. Could you explain please? Newbie here.
nukemaster
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby nukemaster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:02 pm

mickthelamb wrote:
HarryPotter wrote:Dont use File Station to upload a bunch of data. Copy it via SMB or FTP.

You've lost me on what SMB or FTP is. Could you explain please? Newbie here.

SMB(Server Message Block) is how Windows computers handle network shares. You can access it at //nasname/foldername from explorer.

You can also go as far as to mount it as a network drive. It would then get a letter in Windows explorer.
This is done by mapping a network drive from your computer properties. Give it a letter and save credentials if you do not use the same ones on your computer and nas.

From them, you can use it almost like a normal drive(a few programs have issues running off network locations and may need to be copied over to your system or run from an iscsi drive[only accessible by one system at a time unlike SMB]).

FTP is File Transfer Protocol and was very common for sending files from place to place(Lets say updating a web server back in the day). With the nas on a local network, I would stick with SMB(easier to use). For remote file uploads FTP is still a very good option(remember to use a good password).

Return to “File Station”