Merging (sync) of two Shared Folders

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
barnfry
I'm New!
I'm New!

Merging (sync) of two Shared Folders

Unread post by barnfry » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:42 pm

I have searched the forums and can't find this question addressed (at least not so far as I understand!) :oops:

I have two Shared folders already on my Synology, which I would like to merge together. There are several folders and subfolders that are the same, but with different files on each share. (This seems to rule out using the DSM "Shared Folder Sync" function, which will rename folders rather than merge their contents).

Can someone please point out how to do this? I don't need 2-way syncing, I don't need the folders to remain synced to each other, I will pour them together and delete one of the shares. But I want to do this internally with the Synology, instead of routing the files through my computer to direct the traffic!

Thanks!

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Merging (sync) of two Shared Folders

Unread post by HarryPotter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:01 pm

No, shared folder sync does only clone a shared folder to from one DS to another DS.

Simply use FIle Station to move the content of a shared folder to another shared folder (with option "overwrite")
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

barnfry
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by barnfry » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Thanks for the response, but I think I didn't make my need clear.
I have two Shared Folders on my Synology that I wish to combine into one. They are used to store music, with the structure of

[Artist Folder]/[Album Folder]/[Song File].

I have many cases where the same Artist folder exists in both the Source and the Destination Share, but with inconsistent content below that level. E.G:

Source Share contains
[Miles Davis]/[Kind of Blue]/[Song Files]
[Miles Davis]/[Sketches of Spain]/[Song Files]

Destination Share contains
[Miles Davis]/[The Man With The Horn]/[Song Files]

If I use "OVERWRITE" won't I lose all the unique subfolders and files in the Destination Share?

What I want to end up with is a MERGE:

[Miles Davis]/[Sketches of Spain]/[Song Files]
[Miles Davis]/[The Man With The Horn]/[Song Files]

(This operation should drill all the way down: if the the Source Share's subfolder [Kind of Blue] contains files that aren't present in the Destination Share's subfolder [Kind of Blue], those should be added.

I could do this from the command line in Unix on my computer, but I as I said, I would prefer to keep the process internal to the Synology. Does that make sense? Or am I "misunderestimating" the sensitivity of the "Overwrite" option?

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:23 pm

barnfry wrote:If I use "OVERWRITE" won't I lose all the unique subfolders and files in the Destination Share?
No, you wont lose the content of the subfolders. If you want to be sure create 2 test shares with a few subfolder and try it out.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

arphex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by arphex » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Interesting topic.

Is it possible to do a merge copy like windows asks for when copying a folder-content in an other folder. :?:
DS 411+II :)

Return to “File Station”