Mount remote folder

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
mjbarnard
Trainee
Trainee

Mount remote folder

Unread post by mjbarnard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:53 pm

I have set up one of my 3 NAS to mount a remote folder on a non SYnology NAS using CIFS, using the instructions here
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledg ... motevolume

It works fine and I have directed all my Surveillance Station recordings to record onto the remote folder. I can see the files on that NAS.

However when setting up the mount remote folder, I am asked to map to a share on the first NAS where the folder is mounted. I have done this but looking at storage manager and file manager these files are now on the first nas as well. This is not what I want, not so much for storage but more for unwanted disk activity.

I want to mount the remote folder, which it appears I can do, and then store data on that folder and not on the nas where the remote folder is mounted. Is this possible? Apologies if I have misunderstood mounting, but my understanding is that I would use and access the remote folder only, not duplicate it on the first nas. A bit like mapping a network drive on a windows pc.

akahan
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Mount remote folder

Unread post by akahan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:09 am

Are you SURE the files are also on the first NAS?
If you UNmount the remote folder, can you still find the "duplicates" on the first NAS in, e.g., Filestation?

Normally, when I mount a folder on a second NAS to a first NAS, I get the result you are attempting to achieve: the files are on the second NAS only.
DS214play, DS216play, DS216, DS212J, DS414, DS816, rt2600ac

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: Mount remote folder

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Same as well. I have several folders mounted like this and they are not duplicating.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Return to “File Station”