File transfer not showing up in background tasks

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
wolfman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: File transfer not showing up in background tasks

Unread post by wolfman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:09 am

Same problem on an 1812+ with the latest version of DiskStation. Synology folks, if you are listening this issue should be very easy to fix and it makes you look bad because the user thinks something is wrong when really the system is working perfectly.

AimHere
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by AimHere » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:52 pm

I also have problems with the background task status disappearing. For me, it happens whenever I get logged out of the web GUI... once I log in again, the background task window and icon have vanished.

You'd think Synology's programmers could have done a check at login to see if there are any background operations in progress, and re-display the window/icon. But noooo...

At the very least, there ought to be an option somewhere in the GUI to open the background tasks window manually.

Just one of many annoyances with Synology's DSM.

(P.S. - I am still using DSM 4.3 here. If complaints are still being posted [as of Oct. 2015] then I expect the same issue affects DSM 5.x.)

SirEderf
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by SirEderf » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:30 pm

+1

same issue for me on a 1812+ and ds713.
Guys from Synology please answer

hsunmav
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by hsunmav » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:56 am

bump. I'm having the same issue. Just got a DS216+ii, with 2 4TB drives. Trying to transfer 1TB of files. Multiple times it would start the transfer and status would disappear I ended up trying to restart multiple times, but now I'm not sure what's overwritten and what's not. Logging out and back in didn't do it for me. How can i check if the transfer is still going on? I only got 10GB of 900GB transferred.

Anyone come up with a fix yet? I'm on the latest firmware.

zippydan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by zippydan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Has there been any update on this? Is there some kind of notification when a copy / move task completes, along with an indication of success or premature termination with errors?

ikjadoon
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by ikjadoon » Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Another user checking in with this same exact issue. I was quite excited for a NAS: "Finally, I don't have to worry about my laptop losing WiFi in a 3TB transfer--it'll all be hard-wired onto the NAS." Welp...

I logged out for an hour, came back, and the transfer notification is gone. Finally found the drive status in "Resource Monitor" and the drives are whirring at 140MB/s--but not a single notification, not a single status bar, not a single update, nor any visual, auditory, nor telekinetic communication that a file transfer is actively happening.

How can we reliably tell the transfer has completed?!

Quite disappointed here on my first day of owning a Synology NAS--what kind of NAS software loses a "File Transfer" window? Feels like amateur hour here, Synology.

Has anyone made tickets on this yet? What was Synology's official response there? Going to get going on that now. Let's see how useful this marketing adage is:

"By taking full advantage of the latest technologies, Synology is committed to delivering products with forward-thinking features and best-in-class customer service."

For those confused..this is what we're looking at:

EDIT 1 (May 16th):

As I was writing up the ticket, the transfer "stopped" (as far as Resource Monitor [RM] is concerned, that is...). And this brought yet another issue: only 23% of the transfer completed, roughly 450GB out of the 2TB today. I've added this issue to the ticket, as well.

I'll update here if anything moves on the ticket. The three concurrent problems from this single import: 1) transfer notification is gone and cannot be found anywhere, yet RM shows very high disk utilization, 2) the log center shows no start nor stop of any File Transfer (even with enabling logs in File Station), 3) the transfer does not complete (as far as we can tell), yet no errors, no logs, no messages.

Confidence is low--especially since this thread started 3 years ago.

ikjadoon
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by ikjadoon » Thu May 17, 2018 7:02 pm

UPDATE 2 (May 17th):
Ticket update.
Thomas H. from Synology wrote: "First, please note that the transfer progress indicator does not persist across sessions; if you log out and log back in it is not available.

Regarding the issue with the interrupted transfer, it appears that File Station encountered an error during the transfer; I would suggest performing the transfer again in smaller chunks instead of copying the entire dataset all at once (you can tell File Station to skip already-copied files).

Third, please note that File Transfer Logs are disabled by default to maintain performance. If you want to enable file transfer logs for File Station you must go to DSM > File Station > Settings > check "Enable File Station logs" and click Apply."
Progress indicator "does not persist": apparently that's an intended or known design choice. I've asked Thomas to clarify which indicator he's discussing: background tasks or the floating FS window prompt. Regarding FS "encountered an error" and FS logging: sure (but why isn't that error in the GUI?). Let's try again with logging on before initiating the transfer and smaller chunks.

Attempt to Copy #2

I copied 7 folders (instead of 16) and 700GB (instead of 2TB) from the external drive to the Synology volume. Problems galore:

1. Again, the file transfer failed: only six of the seven folders were copied. Most disturbingly, File Station gave no errors and the missing folder is not listed in Log Center in any fashion (no "Attempted Copy", no "Error", no "Incomplete Transfer"). What? File Station silently fails a transfer and records absolutely zero information about the failure in Log Center...

I understand double-checking file transfers, but this kind of issue is mildly horrifying. Users could legitimately be losing the last few files of a file transfer and never know it from File Station...until they manually browsed through each sub-folder, ran a verification, or manually counted log entries in Log Center. The whole point of "double-checking" is that there are two checks: DSM provides zero checks.

2. I left the session open this time on my laptop (though the laptop did sleep--web browser was still open and the DSM interface still showed the open windows). But guess what disappeared? Yup. All notifications of the file transfer. Nothing. Nada. Not a "Completed with one error" or "Error Transferring" or even the incorrect, but still communicative: "File Transfer Completed."

3. And most silly, but actually most informative display last night: I installed DS File on my iPhone earlier just to see how the app worked. It showed a hopelessly vague, but still informative error and confirmed that I actually did intend to copy seven folders, not just six.

At this point, I thought: "Ah, my DSM install must be FUBAR'd and I need to reinstall DSM. Or, maybe worse, my DS218+ has a hardware defect. It shouldn't be failing silently on a simple file transfer and writing zero logs."

Lo and behold, many Synology owners beyond this thread have noted how unreliable File Station transfers can be.

Synology Forums post in 2013
Synology Forums post in 2014
/r/Synology post in 2014
/r/Synology post in 2017
/r/Synology post in 2017

falcon01
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by falcon01 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Have the same issue regularly. I'm definitely curious how is it possible that such a key function as coping from ext drive to NAS could have such unreliable realisation. Where is pause/resume on error, where is error logging? Damn! As a tip from my side - if I realised it right, if you will click on the coping icon in the upper right angle and using the button @all under the bar of task will open a window named @file tasks monitoring - you will
1) have something that is not such easy to be occasionally closed as a regular progress bar
2) you will get notification in notification area when the copy process is finished (I'm not sure, but looks like that)

And yes - I will check Qnap when I will decide after few years of using to upgrade my NAS if there will be still such a weird situation with file transfers on Synology ((

Return to “File Station”