Automatic copy from one folder to another on the same NAS

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Yrk25
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Automatic copy from one folder to another on the same NAS

Unread post by Yrk25 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:34 am

I had the same exact need: regularly copy files in the NAS to the DropBox folder on the same NAS.

Here's what worked for me.

- HyperBackup package
- create a new job with the + icon (data backup)
- scroll through the backup icon choices and choose "Local Data Copy" (NOT "Local Shared Folder & External Storage") and continue
- I chose the shared DropBox folder I'd already created as the destination and chose various subfolders as the source.

Initially, I didn't see the "Local Data Copy" icon option and gave up for awhile but looked again and scrolled through the numerous choices and noticed it near the end. It sounded promising and worked.

I scheduled the backup nightly.

I watched the files propagate in DropBox and saw they were normal copies and not buried in a backup archive.

NOTE: First I created a shared folder named "DropBox" then configured the CloudSync package for DropBox to use that shared folder.

DSM 6.1.3....

zivodevo
Novice
Novice

Unread post by zivodevo » Wed May 02, 2018 2:20 am

@Yrk25.

I tried this using your "Local Data Copy" option but I still end up with a backup (.hbk) directory instead of a copy of the files from my source folders. Is it still working for you?
RS814+, DS210J, Gigabit LAN, LibreELEC on Odroid C2 connected via NFS,
2 x Raspberry Pi3 with LibreELEC connected to Synology via NFS both using common MariaDB

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 pm

Use Cloud Sync in combination with WebDAV and the "localhost" network name for your machine. This will enable you to sync two folders on the same machine on a schedule...

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 36#p524981
The move to the new "community" is just another example of Synology not caring about customer wishes and [Please control your language] us all in the behind. I'll be leaving this forum and NOT be joining the new "community". It was a fun ride. Please don't expect any replies from me because the e-mail address associated with my Synology account will be disabled. Goodbye and thanks for the great time while it lasted.

Return to “File Station”