DS216j - Can I open files from the File Station rather than downloading?

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Steveoh421
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS216j - Can I open files from the File Station rather than downloading?

Postby Steveoh421 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Hello folks,

My small business has just incorporated the DS216J for file storage and backup. Works great, really happy with it.

My query is whether it's possible to open files directly from the file manager as you would on your PC rather than the file being downloaded? I'm new to setting up systems like this and I'm hoping it's possible as this would avoid cluttering up the 'Downloads' folder on our PCs every time we wanted to access a file. We have 4 people who would be accessing and updating files througout the day, so using the DS216J as a network storage device is the aim.

Hopefully I haven't left too many blanks there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
sieberta
Sharp
Sharp

Re: DS216j - Can I open files from the File Station rather than downloading?

Postby sieberta » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 pm

1) Technically you can open some programs by installing Document Viewer, Office, PDF Viewer, Text Editor... but I really don't think that is what you want to do.

2) What you want to do is turn on CIFS/SMB sharing under Control Panel>File Services, then create a drive map or mapped folder from each Windows PC. That will sorta simulate that each computer has the files locally, even though they're really stored in the NAS and brought over the network when opening.

3) Another option is Cloud Station Server, but I really think #2 is what you want.

Any of these three will help avoid cluttering up the downloaded files folder. And avoid people having to manually reupload the files after editing.

sieberta
sieberta
---------
Devices: DS415+ (2014), DS216+II (2016), DS916+ (2017)
Public Service Announcement: Please do not rely on RAID as "backup"... at minimum buy a cheap USB 3.0 HDD and use Hyper Backup...

Return to “File Station”