background task icon gone in task bar

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Amien
Trainee
Trainee

background task icon gone in task bar

Postby Amien » Sun May 04, 2014 8:59 am

I'm running File Station on a DS1513+ and when i copy alot of files, at some point, the transfer icon in the task bar is gone.
When i start another transfer task, the icon will appear, but only shows 1 transfer task.

But the task which is gone in the transfer icon in the task bar is actually still running. When this task done, the notifications are updated. Plus, when i use the File Station App on the iPhone, both tasks will be shown.

How can i get the background task back again in the DSM 5.0 GUI? I want to see for example where the process is/how many files still need to be copied. Or stop the process in the DSM 5.0 GUI

Thanks in advanced.
knudsen
Novice
Novice

Re: background task icon gone in task bar

Postby knudsen » Mon May 12, 2014 4:22 pm

I have the same problem. The background icon is missing after I close the broser/timeout, but the copy job is still running.

I have searched around and I can see other users have the same issue, but no solution to the problem.

When the copy job has finished, I do get an entry in the log with the info (job has finished).

Anyone any idea...?

FYI: Running DSM 5.0-4482 on DS1010+ (Intel based CPU like the DS1513+)

Update: Have send a support ticket to Synology - let's see what they say.
DS-1010 DSM 5.1-5004
DS-212 DSM 5.0-4528
DS-409+ DSM 4.2-3252
DS-207 Firmware Version: DSM 2.0-0598 - 2 * Samsung 500GB (SAMSUNG HD501LJ )
DS-106e Firmware Version: DSM 2.0-0722 - Western Digital 500GB (WD5000KS)
DS-101j - Firmware Version: DSM 2.0-0722 - Western Digital 320GB (DW CDW2300BJ2-K2A)
jboss3
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jboss3 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:54 pm

I have similar problems. A background task gets created, you can see it on the task bar and then after some time it disappears. I didn't even close my browser. The background copy task still runs. I have to monitor folder sizes to know when the copies are complete, which is time consuming. This has happened serveral times.

How can you tell what background tasks are running? There is no control panel for this.

I am working with a RS2414rp+ running DSM 5.0-4493.

Was a ticket created for this? Has there been any feedback? Thanks.
NIBGIZ1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby NIBGIZ1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:14 pm

I have the same exact problem with my newly set up DS1813+
Wish we could get a solution to problem.
lolo74
Trainee
Trainee

Postby lolo74 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:50 am

Same issue on latest DSM5.0 with DS211.
Maxwell
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Maxwell » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Same here. DSM 4.3 final version.

I started a [very] large seven figure file delete job via the file manager. After a while the background task icon disappeared, so I started it again. I thought it was odd because the previous day it kept the background task icon even through a computer hibernate/waken.

To make a long story short, before I realized what was going on, my cpu and disk utilization were both near 100 percent and I had about 5 delete threads running as indicated by the process list.

There really should be a way to click to see what background jobs are running at any time [a task manager], and the DSM icon auto disappear feature is no good either.

As it stands now, I have too many delete threads running, crappy performance as a result, several million more files to delete and I don't want to reboot the syno.
mancmackem
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mancmackem » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:48 am

This has just happened to me also.

Moving 1.5tb of data over from an old nas to a new overnight. I checked the process this morning and it was about 35% complete over 10 hours, but about 2 minutes later the progress of the task disappeared.

My lan write speed was consistent and checked my switch downstairs and can clearly see the move is still happening.

Would hope this had been fixed?
Grand Design Siam
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Grand Design Siam » Sun May 14, 2017 5:30 pm

May 2017, DSM 6.1, and STILL I get the problem you guys before me outlined.

Can't believe a year and a half later this problem hasn't been resolved.

C'mon Synology, you're better than that! Aren't you?
DS 1513+ onsite w/ 5 WD40EFRX: (4TB) RAID5 DSM 6.1
DS 1513+ offsite w/ 5 WD40EFRX: (4TB) RAID5 DSM 6.1
HammerSlo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby HammerSlo » Tue May 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Same problem here on DS-1813 and latest DSM 6.1.1
heffedb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby heffedb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:23 pm

June 2017 and still an issue on DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 4.

The background task icon consistently disappears as soon as I open a FileStation window. If I've opened the File Task Monitor by clicking on All in the Background Task Icon dropdown, it remains open but the tasks disappear at the same time as the icon disappearing.

Workaround 1) Logout of the DSM web console and back in. The Background Task Icon reappears. Disappears again once you open FileStation.
Workaround 2) Open a second console at the same time, click on the Background Task icon, click All, and leave this browser window open for the sole purpose of monitoring the tasks. Don't open anything else in that window.

Still annoying, but I hope that helps.

Return to “File Station”