File Station - can't see "homes"

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
backvall
Trainee
Trainee

File Station - can't see "homes"

Postby backvall » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 am

Hi,

I'm new on Synology and DSM and got my new 713+ last week.
Installed and works like a charm but I noticed that all individual users could Read other home directories if accessing through \\server\homes\user-1 (even though "homes" are hidden in the network).

I changed access priviligies on the share "homes" and put all users to have "no access" and that seemed to resolve the issue.

BUT... I also opened File Station and under Propoerties on "homes" I also changed to "no access" for all users (admin still having read/write).
After applying that "homes" disappeared from File Station and I can't see it and by that I can't change back to the previous priviligies...
All users still can access their home directory (\\server\home) but as said, Admin can't see "homes" in File Stations.

Would it be sufficient to disable "User Home Services" and enable again? That should not remove any files but maybe reset the priviligies???

Thanks!
backvall
Trainee
Trainee

Re: File Station - can't see "homes"

Postby backvall » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 am

Hi again!

Already resolved!

Tips for others:
I had by accident set the group "Users" to have "No access" to "homes".
Since Admin is also a member of "Users" and "No access" will be prioritized before "Read" and "Read/Write" access I had to set group "Users" to "Read/Write" access instead.

All individual users are still prevented to access "homes" by setting "No access" per user instead on the group.
bacsom
Beginner
Beginner

Postby bacsom » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:45 am

Thank you very much! I have had the same problem!!!!
Hemberg
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Hemberg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:25 pm

backvall wrote:Hi again!

Already resolved!

Tips for others:
Since Admin is also a member of "Users" and "No access" will be prioritized before "Read" and "Read/Write" access I had to set group "Users" to "Read/Write" access instead.

All individual users are still prevented to access "homes" by setting "No access" per user instead on the group.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I had a similar problem with a folder. I was turning purple in the face :oops: - just couldn't access that folder. Until I saw your post on admin account also was a member in users group. BUT TO THE SYNOLOGY FOLKS - THIS IS DUMB. Why not have a "clean" users group and a "clean" admin group.......??????????? (And thank you once again :D :D .
DS1815+ | 16GB | DSM 6.1 | SHR1 | 2x4 TB + 4x6 TB WD Red's + 1x8 TB Seagate NAS + 1x256 GB Corsair SSD | 120/50Mbps Up/Down
sincarne
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby sincarne » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Hemberg wrote:

Already resolved!

Tips for others:

Just wanted to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I had a similar problem with a folder. I was turning purple in the face :oops: - just couldn't access that folder. Until I saw your post on admin account also was a member in users group. BUT TO THE SYNOLOGY FOLKS - THIS IS DUMB. Why not have a "clean" users group and a "clean" admin group.......??????????? (And thank you once again :D :D .

changing permission on home folder is what dumb. it manage by DSM. many many many post on here saying 2 not ever touch.
Hemberg
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Hemberg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:21 am

sincarne wrote:
Hemberg wrote:

Already resolved!

Tips for others:

changing permission on home folder is what dumb. it manage by DSM. many many many post on here saying 2 not ever touch.

Well. In my case it wasn't the home folder. It was a folder that should have been restricted from "normal" user. Therefore i changed settings in user-group not knowing that it actually also changed permits on admins.
DS1815+ | 16GB | DSM 6.1 | SHR1 | 2x4 TB + 4x6 TB WD Red's + 1x8 TB Seagate NAS + 1x256 GB Corsair SSD | 120/50Mbps Up/Down

Return to “File Station”