Copying Terrabytes via File Station

Questions regarding using the Web File Manager, "File Station" and "File Browser" can be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
IEBAcom
I'm New!
I'm New!

Copying Terrabytes via File Station

Postby IEBAcom » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:17 am

I upgraded my DS214 from 1 TB to 6 TB drives.
I did it in a way that maintained the 1 TB of data on the drives.

I want to add 3 TB of content from an external SATA drive.
I have a SATA to USB-3 adapter plugged into the NAS and plugged the SATA cable between them.
The drive shows up fine.
I initiated a "Copy" command in File Station from the external 3 TB drive to a new folder in the NAS.

The drives are banging away.

But is there NO way to see the progression of the copy?
I got an error message, I thought it had errored out and quit, so I told File Station to deleted the one folder it did copy.
And then, on it's own, it has proceeded to continue copying for well over an hour now.

I should be getting pretty good speeds, 100 MBytes/s over USB3, but I cannot find a way to see how far along it is going, get an estimate for the remainder, or any of the normal "copy" progress bits that computer users like me are used to.

I'm half tempted to cancel this (somehow, there's no dialog with a Cancel button!) and connect the 3 TB drive to a computer and do the copy in Windows so I can see a progress bar, current speed, error messages, time till finished, etc. But I didn't want to saturate my LAN with the traffic for hours and hours.

Is there any way to see the status of this process?
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Re: Copying Terrabytes via File Station

Postby syno.dustin » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:01 pm

It shows up in DSM but not if you close the DSM window IIRC. Though, I swear this behavior changed in 6.0 and there's now a bar at the top that stays updated. Are you on DSM6?

Anyways, you're not going to saturate the USB link if you're transferring a lot of files at once. The more files in a transfer the slower it goes. It's better to break transfers into smaller chunks rather than doing it all at once.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
ja666
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Copying Terrabytes via File Station

Postby ja666 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm

While copying files you can log-in to your NAS from your computer (Windows Explorer or Total Commander, etc.) and check how many, which files and which size already got copied.
I believe you can also calculate copied directories (folders) size from within DSM browser session.
You may also want to check transfer speed with resource monitor -> performance -> disk/volume (transfer rate in MB/s, IOPS).

Return to “File Station”