Data DELETED during firmware upgrade to 518

All questions, comments, discussion about firmware 518 can be placed here. Please place regular support questions in one of the subjects below.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu



2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
cicob
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:26 pm

Problem solved

Postby cicob » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:49 pm

Hello again,

I am happy to be able to tell you that I have solved my problem.

First of all thanks to Synology for rapidly sending us a new "100W PSU". Unfortunately that didn't solve our problem, but you don't know that until afterwards.
Secondly, thanks to the tips above to sanitize the disk(s). I let the DBAN software have a go at disk one (five hours) and it came out with just as many green lights as before (all green in the WD-tool).

Then I figured that (at least in my very case) I either have a problem with disk 1 or I don't have any problems at all with any disk. I voted for the latter. So I skipped sanitizing the other three disks and instead prepared for restoring the complete volume from scratch:

1) Backed up all system-settings.
2) Had a fresh USB-backup done to another USB-disk (in case my standard USB-disk would somehow be faulty).
3) Removed the existing "volume1"
4) created a new volume
5) imported the old settings (users, permissions)

The only problem arose when I tried to restore all the data. I was not impressed with the built-in "file station". Ok, it does not share the same layout as the usual admin-pages, but had it worked correctly I could have accepted this. I tried to restore ONE folder and it was hanging. I also was unable to mark all folders for restoration in one go. Strange.

Luckily we nowadays have an officially supported telnet- and SSH-patch to the cubestations, so I simply logged in with SSH and issued a

Code: Select all

mkdir /volume1/tmp/ ;
cp -R /volumeUSB1/usbbackup/* /volume1/tmp/

and finally "mv" the various folders to their proper locations under my new /volume1".

Thanks again to this forum for supporting me. :)

Chris

Return to “Firmware 518 for x07, x06, DS-101j Models”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest