Privileges for Filestation and management

Test out the highly anticipated 514/515 firmware, for all x06 models, and the DS-101j
egbertje
Beginner
Beginner

Privileges for Filestation and management

Postby egbertje » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Hello all,

I also tried this beta version on my DS-106.
But i have something i dont understand if its normal or a bug.
I have enabled ftp, and have made some accounts, also a guest account.
So my friends can (with FTP) download files to there Pc's.
The privileges for this account are read-only.
Now also i enabled the file-station and audio-station, and make it accessible via a secure HTTPS. So everybody can reach my diskstation with my IP adres.
BUT, when a guest user is logging in with his password he can 1: Login into management and modify his password! and 2 : He has access to the download management, and for example he can remove/edit my torrents!

Is this a bug, or am i doing something wrong?

Egbert
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:09 pm

Are you using the guest account on the server? I wasn't able to use the guest account to login. Or are you referring guest as in another user account?

1: Login into management and modify his password!
Yes, this is normal

2: He has access to the download management, and for example he can remove/edit my torrents!
This is not normal; users are able to add files to the Download station, however are unable to access other users Download Tasks. Only the admin account has the right to look at all download tasks assigned to the server. Please submit your findings to our Beta Program Manager.
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
egbertje
Beginner
Beginner

Postby egbertje » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi Franklin,

Thanks for respond.

As for 2: You are right, i had made a "normal"accound with restricted privs, the build in guest accound has no access to the downloads of other users.

As for 1: Its ok, but i dont see the idea behind this. When i am the admin, and i make an account for others with a password, why should they modify it?

Egbert.
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:12 pm

As for 1: Its ok, but i dont see the idea behind this. When i am the admin, and i make an account for others with a password, why should they modify it?

We already had this discussion once, unfortunatly I cant find the thread anymore.

We came to the clue that the admin should have an option to allow/disallow the user(s) to change their password.

Assuming you create a general user/password for reading lets say your music folder and one user is going to change this password, bad luck for the others who wanted to access this folder.....
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:26 pm

The ability to let users change their passwords was requested during our early firmware generation because administrators did not what to be bothered with changing user passwords.

So, today, this topic went into the exact opposite direction, where now admins do not want their users to change passwords.

Because of this, we have added this topic on the suggestion database, and we are looking at check box which will give which users to have the ability to change their passwords, and those who don't. However, this is all still under research and development (and may change), news about this capability should be available during H1 of 2008.
**Franklin is not available**

**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**

Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists

Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images

Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station

Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program

Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:01 pm

*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

Return to “Beta: Firmware 515 for x06, and DS-101j”