DS106e shutting down (disconnecting network connections)

Questions/Comments about firmware 462 for the DS101j, DS106e, and DS106 may be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
grantzau
Novice
Novice

DS106e shutting down (disconnecting network connections)

Unread post by grantzau » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi all...

I have a setup with a DS106e running latest firmware. I connect from 2 Apple Mac computers (one PPC and one Intel).

On the Intel machine I get a warning that the Diskstation shuts down and after that it disconnect my network shares.

I can reconnect immediately again so the diskstation doesn't really shuts down - just kicking me off.

On the PPC Mac everythings fine. Both Macs run 10.4.10 Tiger with all updates and patches.

Any clues?

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Franklin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:04 am

Greetomgs grantzau

In order to identify the cause, please connect the DS directly to the IntelMac and see if the drop connection will replicate itself. Using a straight or crossover Ethernet cable will suffice, our system is auto-sensing.

Do you happen to know when the computer is kicking you off? Any specific time period or interval?

Also, please try disabling hibernation with your system, perhaps the system is timing out because the DS is still spinning up.

Also, which protocol are you using? AFP or SMB?
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

grantzau
Novice
Novice

Unread post by grantzau » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:28 am

Hi Franklin,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

First of all, Hibernation is disabled on my box. However, it sometimes sounds like the disks are powering up when I've been idle for a while. Not to sure about this. There seems to be no problem with the USB disk (have a USB and eSATA connected).

It's the same deal when I connect the Intel Mac directly to the DS.

I'm using AFP connection.

There seems to be no particular time interval for the shutdown. I just get the following message on my screen.

Happens after the latest firmware update - before that everything was fine.

grantzau
Novice
Novice

Unread post by grantzau » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:17 am

I've narrowed it down to hibernation of my eSATA drive.

I have a LaCie BigDisk 1TB connected and it works great - except for going into hybernation after a few hours.

Correction:
I have the following disk attached - however, there is NO USB support on mine but can't seem to find the correct one on LaCie's website.

LaCie Two Big eSATA & USB
http://www.lacie.com/dk/support/support ... m?id=10217

I'll try to seach through LaCie's website for any clues, however it seems a little strange that it worked great with the previous DS firmware version...

What did you guys change in regards to eSATA hybernation in this release? :?

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Franklin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:09 am

The USB/eSATA Hibernation in 462 was designed to have the external HDD hibernate when the internal HDD went to sleep. We did find however, that not all USB/eSATA drives sleep well, with our internal HDD. We are currently working on a resolution for this behavior bug.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images

grantzau
Novice
Novice

Unread post by grantzau » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:27 am

This sounds great. So it means that something will come from you within a short period of time?

As of now the DS is rendered pretty much useless to me :cry:

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Franklin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:13 am

Correction, eSATA hibernation is independent of USB Hibernation; eSATA HDDs should hibernate at the same time as the internal SATA hibernation drive, and in our system, eSATA should behave in the same fashion as internal SATA

Please disable hibernation and see if that resolves your dilemma or not. In either case, please contact online support, as we may need to glean some information from your system to study it's behavior. The link is in my signature.

grantzau
Novice
Novice

Unread post by grantzau » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:16 pm

Hibernation IS disabled.
Here's a screensshot of the admin interface.

I'll contact online support.

Return to “Firmware 462 for DS101j and DS106 Series”