DS 207 disk crashes

Questions/Comments with firmware 462 can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
toor
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS 207 disk crashes

Unread post by toor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:30 am

So, I did my best to find an answer to my problem by reading posts on this forum, but I can't find any clear solution. I have two disks in mirror and both of them are Samsung HD501LJ, Syno's firmware 2.03 - 0462. The problem is that second disk reportedly crashes and when I try to rebuild volume, after a while (rebuild progress comes to approx 7%) complete system freezes (not accessible on web gui). I thought, OK, it's a disk probably (no matter that disks are no more than a month old), than I bought two new ones (just in a case), identical models. But the same repeats again when I replaced disk. I said, OK, I have another one so I'll try with the second new one. The same again. rebuild comes to the approx 7% an than crashes! Mathematically speaking there's so little chances that all of these three disks are defective, that I have better chances to win a lottery even!
So my only conclusion is that my Syno is somehow defective. Either power supply is to weak to power those to disks or firmware is buggy. Of course I tried to disable hibernate but with no success. Same [Please control your language] all the time. Funniest part is that Syno was working fine in a maybe 10 - 15 days (when I bought it) than suddenly crashed and not recovered anymore :cry: . Any help or I just have to return Syno to my supplier and to buy NAS from some other producers?

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Franklin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:12 am

toor-

Sorry for the troubles you are experiencing, please follow the directions in your PM to send me the log files from your system.

Not to be rude, however did you remove the protective film on the front/bottom of the unit? Ensure that all of the HDD data/power cables are seated correctly, and seated in the correct order. On the HDD cable, the end with the 90 degree bend goes towards the HDD, not towards the motherboard.
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

toor
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by toor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:24 am

I did as you requested in PM so log is on it's way. HDD's are attached correctly, not damaged by any means (after all I'm quite experienced sysdam).
But it seems that I solved problem by accident (my session for Web GUI expired, luckily :lol: ). It seems that whole machine just crashes if it is accessed by any means during resync phase including monitoring of resync progress on Storage/Volume page (which gets refreshed during resync). When machine crashes it just don't respond anyhow and Disk 2 LED switches off and it has to be detached off the power supply to restart it again.
So, as I said, after a while session gone and I had to log in again then I noticed that resync just finished 11.5% which was a way ahead the magic 7%. Than I repeated login/logout procedure every time I wished to check how's going with resync. Finally after a 2 hours I got Syno stable again.
So, my conclusion is that there was no HDD problem at all, but some troubles with firmware (correct me if I'm wrong).

toor
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by toor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:32 am

By the way why you guys from Synology don't enable SSH and RSync on Syno boxes? In my company we have a quite heterogeneous environment (Mac's, Linux's and Windows) while almost all servers are running on Linux. It will be quite nice to run rsync over SSH out-of-the-box (I'm aware of the mods) between Linux boxes (and macs) and Syno

ikeke
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by ikeke » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:46 pm

toor wrote:By the way why you guys from Synology don't enable SSH and RSync on Syno boxes? In my company we have a quite heterogeneous environment (Mac's, Linux's and Windows) while almost all servers are running on Linux. It will be quite nice to run rsync over SSH out-of-the-box (I'm aware of the mods) between Linux boxes (and macs) and Syno
Rsync backup is available in the beta firmware 494 if i don't write mistakes.
CS-407 | HD Model: 4x Samsung HD501LJ 500GB Raid5
DS-1513+ | HD Model: 2x Seagate LP 1.5 TB + 2x Seagate LP 2 TB
http://www.nas-forum.com - Communauté Française des utilisateurs de NAS Synology

Loeffel
Versed
Versed

Unread post by Loeffel » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:53 pm

You are right, just look here:

Yours
Loeffel

I will gather myself around my faith for light does the darkness most fear.
Murphy: Professionals are predictable, but beware the world is full of amateurs.

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Franklin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:17 am

Greetings toor-

Sorry for the late post, however from your last post it would seem that your system is fine now? The information in your log file did report there were several bad sector errors. The latest information is dates Aug 7th, 13:23, where the system reports that the volume consistency is complete. So if your system is fine, I wouldn't be too concern much more; however I would keep on eye on the HDDs to ensure that they are healthy. If you haven't done so, I would enable email notification, so the system can send you an email if it encounters another HDD error.

Please look under Admin menu\system\notification
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

ikeke
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by ikeke » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:53 am

Loeffel wrote:You are right, just look here:

CS-407 | HD Model: 4x Samsung HD501LJ 500GB Raid5
DS-1513+ | HD Model: 2x Seagate LP 1.5 TB + 2x Seagate LP 2 TB
http://www.nas-forum.com - Communauté Française des utilisateurs de NAS Synology

Return to “Firmware 462 for 207 and 40x systems”