New Customer - Cannot Map Network Drive (Windows 7)

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Appogee
Beginner
Beginner

New Customer - Cannot Map Network Drive (Windows 7)

Unread post by Appogee » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:10 am

Hi everyone. This is my first post in these forums... wish it could be on a happier subject. However, after two days of non-response from Synology's customer support (yes, I logged a ticket) I am hoping perhaps the user community might be able to help me.

The Problem: I cannot map any network drives on my newly-purchased Synology 413j, on my ethernet home network, all of which comprises Windows 7 64-bit PCs.

I have successfully created a volume on the 413j, created a shared folder, created a user with the correct access privilegs to that shared folder (using my standard Windows account name and password), etc. I can successfully ''see'' the 413j via DSM4.1, and DSM 4.1 is also reporting the 413j as working correctly.

However, when I try to Map a network drive in Synology Assistant, I receive the error ''The network path was not found (53)''. The same errors occur when I try to do this from other PCs on my home network. I cannot see the 413j in Windows Explorer.

I can ping the 413J via a cmd prompt at its correct IP address. I have turned off my PC's firewall and checked that the 413j's firewall is set to allow all traffic. I have installed the Windows file sharing service on the 413j. I can copy files between PCs using standard Windows networking at speeds in excess of 1MB/s, so there's nothing wrong with the other network hardware.

Incidentally, in case it's relevant, when I copy files from my PC to the 413j within DSM 4.1's file manager, it's at an incredibly slow speed of 4kb/s.

So, I'm stumped. After two days of radio silence from customer support, I'm staring down the barrel of a wasted weekend. All help would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance for your suggestions.

marcelg
Student
Student

Re: New Customer - Cannot Map Network Drive (Windows 7)

Unread post by marcelg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi, i got hte same problem and message, i have created one time the drive letter, then it goes, no way no get it work.
I can see the computer from the d213 browser and transfer files.
Thanks
Marcel Garcia
DS412+

Wilko72
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Wilko72 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi
Im also a new user after buying the DS213. So far so good except I cant seem to map the network drive. I also get the same error message (53). I checked out the forums and other links on the internet but have had no luck. Any ideas anyone? Im sure there is a solution for this type of error .....

RobertWillis
Novice
Novice

Unread post by RobertWillis » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Can you see your NAS when you do a Network Browse from Windows Explorer - Network ? I have a SYNOLOGY DS1511+ with five Mapped Drives to folders on the DS1511+. I can see them as mapped drives and in Windows Explorer.

If you cannot see them turn off your firewall and virus scanner. Can you see them now? If the answer is yest reconfigure your firewall to allow access.

k2003t
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by k2003t » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:31 am

I was having the same issue and this fixed it:

DSM Control Panel / Firewall / Ports - Select / check the box for "Windows File Server"

Hope it works for you!

TBBS_guru
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by TBBS_guru » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:01 pm

I had the same problem. All and everything seems to be alright. I can access the NAS but mapping? No way. Also with the datareplicator I got the same error. It refuses to accept the path where the NAS was located. "Path not found" Just by coincidence I noticed that the NAS en the PC (windows 7) were on a different network. With the network configuration I moved the current network connection to the right network and from that time it worked as expected.

Hope this helps

seannyob
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by seannyob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:02 pm

For those of you still having problems, please tell us the IP addresses of your computer & your NAS (so that we can ensure they are on the same network).

Additionally, if you're trying to connect via SMB, ensure windows file service is turned on, and, if you have a workgroup, both the NAS & all the other machines are on the same workgroup. If you have a domain, you've probably joined them already, but this is where to start.

claude-1300
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by claude-1300 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:42 am

Hi, same SPEED problem here.

I have a Syno 211j connected as TimeMachine backup system on my iMac running MacOS 10.8.2, and it just ROCKS.

I added a Syno 413j to the Gigabit local network, and copying files is painfully slow !
It falls to speed of 50 k, while the 211 goes to 2,1 MB !!

So what is thr problem with the Synology 413j being so slow ?

cacofonix1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by cacofonix1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Response from k2003t solved my problem....Thanks.

Post by k2003t » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:31 am
I was having the same issue and this fixed it:

DSM Control Panel / Firewall / Ports - Select / check the box for "Windows File Server"

Tomski
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Tomski » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:39 pm

SOLVED:
I had a similar problem trying to map a network drive on a Win XP laptop to a DS213. I got the same 'The network path was not found (53)' error.

The suggestion from k2003t (.....check the box for "Windows File Server") did not work, but @RobertWillis did:

I found that AVG Firewall was blocking access. I had to set up the NAS IP address as an exception.

1. Open the AVG program.
2. On the Tools menu, click Firewall settings.
3. On the left pane, under Profiles, expand your default profile (e.g. Directly connected to the Internet), and then click Defined networks.
4. Select the IP adresses whitelist and click Edit network.
5. Click Add IP button.
6. Specify the IP address or range and click OK

weddingshooter
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by weddingshooter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:46 pm

k2003t wrote:I was having the same issue and this fixed it:

Hope it works for you!
Perfect - thanks

freewaypigeon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by freewaypigeon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm

I cannot see my 211J on my Windows 7 Network by browsing, however, I can see it on my Mac Air. I can access the 211J by using DSM 4.1 no problem. Any thoughts?

zlyler
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by zlyler » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:50 pm

This solution worked really well! Thanks

:D
Tomski wrote:SOLVED:
I had a similar problem trying to map a network drive on a Win XP laptop to a DS213. I got the same 'The network path was not found (53)' error.

The suggestion from k2003t (.....check the box for "Windows File Server") did not work, but @RobertWillis did:

I found that AVG Firewall was blocking access. I had to set up the NAS IP address as an exception.

1. Open the AVG program.
2. On the Tools menu, click Firewall settings.
3. On the left pane, under Profiles, expand your default profile (e.g. Directly connected to the Internet), and then click Defined networks.
4. Select the IP adresses whitelist and click Edit network.
5. Click Add IP button.
6. Specify the IP address or range and click OK

RollTide!
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by RollTide! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:46 pm

:D
k2003t wrote:I was having the same issue and this fixed it:

Hope it works for you!
SOLVED:
Fantastic!! k2003t have been struggling with this for the past two days and your solution fixed my problem. Thank You! Synology needs to put this somewhere in their FAQ's considering your post and solution to problem has been out there for a year.

Sim75
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Sim75 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:03 am

Sorry to tag onto this old(ish)post but i'm hoping someone can give me a definitive answer with regards to mapping a network drive. I want to know if it possible to map the complete a volume as 1 drive letter on Windows 7 rather than assigning an individual drive letter to each folder you want to map in the shared folder.

I have a DS1813+ but want to add an i7 to work as the 'server' running Plex, Sickbeard and Sab with the Nas just as storage.

Is it a problem if all the folders are mapped individually?

cheers,

Return to “Windows OS”