Can't login to DS through SMB on Windows

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
fahid
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can't login to DS through SMB on Windows

Unread post by fahid » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:12 am

Hello everyone,

Normally I am a user of QNAP but recently purchased a Synology for usage as private Mail Server (Mail Station), but as Synology has 3TB in RAID1, I though why not use it for data as well. But when I try to brows to DS, I get Authentication error, even I have tried multiple times and for a fact I know my credentials were correct at least most of time.

One important thing however is that Synology DS connects to LDAP Server on my QNAP NAS.
- all LDAP users can login to DS via web browser and Mail/Webmail/IMAP/SMTP, through web browser everything works fine. but when I try to brows DS from Windows through SMB, I get error. SMB (SMB1 to SMB3) is enable in DS. When I brows to \\DS or \\192.168.1.XX, I see a login prompt. I enter the login credentials and get an Authentication Error.

I tried with LDAP user as username:password, username@domain.tld:password, but failed in both cases.
I though maybe LDAP/Domain user can't access SMB so I tried with DS Local users, same problem, Authentication Failure, hell I even tried with DS-Administrator account but same error.

I enabled Local Master Browser under DS-CP > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS > SMB > Advanced Settings
No Help

I created a Network Share with name Public and set its permissions to RW for everyone, including guest.
No Help

Synology Assistnt finds DS and when I try to map Drive from there, it asks for credentials, but returns the that Password is wrong. At least through Synology Assistant I know that if I try with LDAP users with domain (@domain.tld), it says user not found, but when I user user@domain.tld, I get Password error, but it is the same with LDAP or local users.

What am I missing or why isn't it working the way it should?
please help.

It is a DS212+ (2Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM) with DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 5

lorandd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Can't login to DS through SMB on Windows

Unread post by lorandd » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Same issue here. It works with afp://

phealey
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by phealey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:53 pm

Yes, i've had the issue since the last few updates, didnt notice the issue until a reboot of the NAS.

AlBundy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by AlBundy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:56 pm

I experienced the same problem today. :-/

After switching from SMB1 to SMB2 in DSM I was abloe to login.

Al

Return to “Windows OS”