"The directory name is invalid" after fall creators update on Synology share with uninstalled SMBv1

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
m-snel
Trainee
Trainee

"The directory name is invalid" after fall creators update on Synology share with uninstalled SMBv1

Postby m-snel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Probably a Windows bug, but thought I'd mention it here also:

I updated one of my computers to the fall version (16299.15) and when I doubleclick some files (to open them) on a network share of my Synology NAS I get the message "the directory name is invalid"

The strange thing is it gives the message when opening .txt or .docx, but not when opening .mp4 for example.

Even more strange is that when I right click on the file and use open with... to open it (using the same application as is appointed to it) it does open.

Also when I move the file to the C drive and doubleclick it it does open, but when I move it back to the network share the same message comes when I doubleclick it.

As a test I opened the same file in the same share on another computer with the spring creators update and no problem. I have upgraded this PC then also to the fall update and then the same thing happened. So it would seem the fall creators update breaks something.

As a workaround I can now use the open with... option, but it would be nice if somebody could look at it for a future update (or tell me how to solve this).

Ps. I have on both machines (before and after the update) SMBv1 de-installed (so the share uses SMBv3). But I have de-installed v1 for months, so this shouldn't have anything to do with it (as it has worked perfectly all this time with v3).

Ps2. Currently Win 10 version 16299.19, DSM version 6.2-22259. If I read the other topics it could be 6.2 beta related (as they also use 6.2 beta), but it worked fine with win 1703 and after the update to 1709 the message came.

See also these links for more information/troubleshooting and affected users:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files-insiderplat_pc/message-the-directory-name-is-invalid-when-opening/28e6e31e-7785-45f5-85a9-5e30bdde9562
https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/778jtf/updated_to_fall_creators_update_and_having_file/
DS216+ II
al3x
Trainee
Trainee

Re: "The directory name is invalid" after fall creators update on Synology share with uninstalled SMBv1

Postby al3x » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:51 pm

I have the exact same problem and also found a german thread about the same problem here:
http://www.synology-forum.de/showthread ... -Synology/

I'm currently on "DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 8" but the problem also occurred with Update 7, so this is not related to the 6.2 beta version.

What seems to have fixed it as a temporary workaround: Reenabling "SMB 1.0/CIFS-Client" in Windows Features. The weird thing about this is: Powershell still says "3.1.1" as protocol when checking with "Get-SMBConnection". I'm 100% sure I had this already disabled when on Windows 10 1703 so this has to be a change in Windows 10 1709.

Hope someone (Microsoft? Synology?) can come up with a better solution though :?
jtjt00
Trainee
Trainee

Re: "The directory name is invalid" after fall creators update on Synology share with uninstalled SMBv1

Postby jtjt00 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:12 am

a workaround solution here:

Simply right click on the file on the mapped folder and select Open with.
mchernis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mchernis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Same problem here.. This issue completely took out my Plex server.. Server runs on a Windows box that accesses media files on Synology NAS. The Plex server could not longer scan the media folders.

Enabling SMB 1.0 (on both the PC and the NAS) seems to fix the problem but hope someone fixes it properly.
necrosis
Experienced
Experienced

Postby necrosis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:43 pm

Add me to the list with this issue. Its completely maddening.

Not sure if its update 8 or Fall Creators that is causing the issue. Both updated around the same time.

About to do a clean install of 1709 (Fall Creators). Trying to set up my MDT share on my NAS is proving maddening. Every other time I connect its like "Nope! That share doesn't exist!".
Last edited by necrosis on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DS1812+ (DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 1) 8x Samsung HD203WI {2TB} - RAID6 {10.72TB}
    DX510 5x Seagate ST33000650NS {3TB} - SHR [1 Drive] {10.73TB}
APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 160w Load {20%} 36min
mchernis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mchernis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:48 pm

Good point.. I'm 95% sure it stopped working right after the Fall Creators update BUT it could have been the DSM Update which I also installed.. Let's hope it is that...I'd think Synology would be able to fix something like this faster than Microsoft.

Mark
a5cent
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby a5cent » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:41 am

This issue popped up immediately after upgrading to Windows 16299.19 (Windows Fall Creators Update + Day 0 Update) and removing Window's SMB 1.0 feature. The DSM version did not change during the last few days, so Windows 10 (without SMB 1.0 support) is the network participant that surfaced this error.

However, we can't conclude from this that it's a Windows bug. Removing SMB 1.0 support, or the Windows update itself, may just have surfaced a long existing bug in DSM's SMB stack. Who knows? Synology and MS probably both need to look at this.

I previously thought the following fixed the problem:

Control Panel > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS > Advanced Settings:

Maximum SMB protocol = SMB2 and Large MTU
Minimum SMB protocol = SMB2

Scroll down and click "Clear SMB cache"

Unfortunately it did not, or at least not permanently. I now have the same problem again! :-/

Update:

Clearing the cache seems to make the problem disappear, but only temporarily.
SR71black
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby SR71black » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm

I have the same problem as well, with all Fall Creators Update machines, and multiple different Synology DiskStation devices. Just copying more than a single file to the NAS directory terminates the connection for a good 10-15 seconds. Changing any of the SMB settings inside Synology DiskStation seems to fix the problem, but it's a false hope, as it comes back after the Windows machine is rebooted. When you restart the NAS network, the problem goes away temporarily, until you reboot Windows 10, at which point it comes back.

Enabling SMB1 in Windows permanently fixes the problem, but I don't want to do that. That opens up the computer for ransomware and other attacks.

The only good solution right now is to roll back Windows, and stop Windows 10 updates on all machines.

One desperate workaround is to add a delay in between file operations, although I'm not sure how stable this is going to be:
copy one.txt \\DiskStation\remote\directory\
timeout /t 3
copy two.txt \\DiskStation\remote\directory\
timeout /t 3
copy three.txt \\DiskStation\remote\directory\
timeout /t 3

What's strange is that only Synology connections are affected, other native Windows network shares are working fine. I'm not implicating that this is Synology's fault, it's most likely a Windows bug, or lack of compatibility. It's a serious one, because the Windows update is already being pushed on all computers by default.
necrosis
Experienced
Experienced

Postby necrosis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:47 am

You should be able to enable SMBv1 client without an issue. I think the real problem is with the server. Though I could be wrong.

Clean install of FCU has this under Programs and Features -> Windows Features -> SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support:

Checked - SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal
Checked - SMB 1.0/CIFS Client
UnChecked - SMB 1.0/CIFS Server

The tooltip for 'SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal': Automatically removes support for the legacy SMB 1.0/CIFS protocol when such support isn't actively needed during normal system usage.
DS1812+ (DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 1) 8x Samsung HD203WI {2TB} - RAID6 {10.72TB}
APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 160w Load {20%} 36min
SR71black
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby SR71black » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:42 pm

SMB1 is a 30-year-old protocol that permits man-in-the-middle exploits, and that is how WannaCry infected so many computers, including hospitals and major corporations. If SMB1 exists on a network at all, it can be exploited, regardless of how secure the rest of your network is.
mchernis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mchernis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:44 pm

Yep.. Really hope MS or Synology fix this in the near future...
gizzalucy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby gizzalucy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:37 pm

I've been struggling with this all morning. It's mainly my multimedia files - jpg, mp4, mkv etc. I think it has something to do with Windows privileges/permissions.

This is the notification from Photoshop for a jpg:
    Could not complete your request because the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privileges.
    Use the 'Properties' command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file.
This is from SMPlayer for an mkv:
    Playing: //diskstation/video/TV/Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams/Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams S01E01.mkv
    [file] Cannot open file '//diskstation/video/TV/Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams/Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams S01E01.mkv': Permission denied
    Failed to open //diskstation/video/TV/Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams/Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams S01E01.mkv.
    Exiting... (Errors when loading file)

I've noticed that the Explorer previews for these files show fine and a right-click>Open shows them too, but a double click won't.

Seems like the double-click mechanism is faulty and not passing the correct file privileges on to the program.
mchernis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mchernis » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Interesting.. I think you are seeing different applications sending up different messages related to problems accessing the file/directory entry. I get different wacky messages with different applications as well. And, something like Plex shows no errors--it just ignores the files silently.

Mark
kipik
Trainee
Trainee

Postby kipik » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 pm

no need to enable SMB1 again. Stay on SMB2 at minimum and keep your system safe:

- go onto SMB/ Advanced settings (using smb2 / SMB3) Disable "transport encryption mode" . Probelm solved.

check when you can re-enable as soon fix has been released.
DS 716+ (8GB RAM) + DX213 - RAID 10 /6TB BTRFS (4*WD RED 3 TB)
Proper Raid 10 with Expansion Units : https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=115462&p=426512#p426512

Return to “Windows OS”